This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Name: Colleen Hinson
Year: Sophomore
Major: Environmental Horticulture
Relationship Status: Engaged

Her Campus Virginia Tech: What are you involved in at Virginia Tech?
Colleen Hinson: I’m in the Knit and Crochet Club, Woman’s Choir, and Early Music Ensemble. I started singing in the music groups for my music minor but love it so much I can’t stop.  Several friends and I created the Knit and Crochet Club as a fun way to be social, relax, and continue our hobbies. I am currently the treasurer of our club.

HCVT: What is your favorite part of being a Hokie?
CH: Being involved in a community that is passionate about learning, school sports, and giving back to others.

HCVT: What do you plan to do after graduation?
CH: I hope to spend a few years working in a nursery or garden and then I plan to apply to graduate school

HCVT: Do you plan to participate in an internship?
CH: Next summer I hope to do an internship at Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania during which time I would conduct a research experiment related to my interests.

HCVT: Do you have a favorite memory of your time at Virginia Tech?
CH: My favorite would certainly be at Hahn Garden when my boyfriend proposed to me. Other wonderful memories include club get-togethers, music rehearsals, and learning how to identify trees in my Woody Plants lab.

HCVT: What’s your idea of a perfect date?
CH: Ah, difficult question. I loooove to be outside so probably hiking or just taking a walk. As long as it is with that special someone it will definitely be fun!

HCVT: What are your favorite books?
CH: The Giver series by Lois Lowry. Stepping Heavenward by Mrs. E. Prentiss. The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J. R. R. Tolkien. And The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis.

HCVT: Do you play an instrument? If so, how long have you done so?
CH: I used to play piano but now I just sing. I started really singing when I began choir in sixth grade. Since then I’ve always done choir and for the past few years I have been taking voice lessons as well.

HCVT: If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?
CH: Probably Ireland. It seems like such a pretty place and I have always wanted to go there since I was a child.

HCVT: If you could meet anyone that has ever existed, who would it be and why?
CH: Without a doubt, I would love to meet Jesus in person. He has done more for me and the people I love than anyone I know. Thankfully this dream will come true! Beyond that I’m not a huge fan of any celebrity but I think the singer Jimmy Needham would be a neat fellow to meet too.

Caitlin is a senior Professional Writing major. Besides Her Campus, she is the Internal Social Chairwoman for Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. She loves the beach, animals, shopping, yoga, and Hokie football!