This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Everyone has their own favorite Christmas movies. Whether passed down through family traditions or discovered through explorations of all the new films, it’s common during the holiday season to cuddle up with a blanket and hot chocolate to watch a Christmas movie. We’ve all seen “Elf,” “Home Alone” and “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” but what are some hidden gems that you might not have seen? Here are some classic Christmas movies from the Golden Age of Hollywood that I grew up on, and I hope they’ll make their way into your Christmas traditions.

“Holiday inn” (1942)

Starring Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire, along with Marjorie Reynolds and Virginia Dale, the film revolves around a man who opens an inn in Connecticut that is only open for the holidays. It shows us spectacular events for Valentine’s Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving and finally ending on Christmas. Complete with sweet storylines of love and friendship, this is the film which the iconic song “White Christmas” — sung by Crosby and composed by Irving Berlin — originates from.

“christmas in connecticut” (1945)

This Christmas romantic comedy stars Barbara Stanwyck, Dennis Morgan and Sydney Greenstreet. The story revolves around a food writer whose articles consist of recipes and sweet stories about her farm in Connecticut, her husband and kids, and all of them are fictitious. When her publisher insists she host Christmas dinner at her farm, she frantically scrambles to save her career, and chaos ensues in this hilarious and charming movie.

“the bishop’s wife” (1947)

Cary Grant, Loretta Young and David Niven light up the screen in this emotional but dear movie about an angel who aids a bishop in saving his church. However, throughout the course of the movie, the bishop, his wife and the angel all realize that what they need most might not be the church building, but it is rather a dose of human connection and Christmas spirit.

“white christmas” (1954)

While I’m usually not one for musicals, this film is one of my absolute favorites. Starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen and featuring songs by Irving Berlin, it centers around a famous duo of performers who are asked to view another sister act. Sparks fly between the pairs, and through a series of chaotic events, the four end up staying at an inn in Vermont where they put on a variety show for the guests. This endearing movie includes beautiful music, intricate dance routines and stunning sets, and it’s almost guaranteed to make your Christmas season brighter.

Two honorable mentions — also made during this time but are more well-known — include “It’s a Wonderful Life” (1946) and, another favorite of mine, “Miracle on 34th Street” (1947). Regardless of the types of movies you choose to watch to get you in the Christmas mood, what’s important is remembering to be kind and caring to those you watch them with. Have a wonderful Christmas from all of us here at Her Campus at Virginia Tech to you.

Loralee Hoffer

Virginia Tech '23

Loralee Hoffer is a senior at Virginia Tech majoring in Psychology with minors in Creative Writing and Adaptive Brain and Behavior. Through her writing, she enjoys sharing her experiences with health and wellness, relationships, body positivity, and campus life. Proud to be a part of the Her Campus team, she hopes to empower women and gain valuable experience, education, and friends along the way.