how to set boundaries at work?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
how to set boundaries at work?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
20th Century Fox

Best Movies To Watch Beyond Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

March is all about celebrating women — their accomplishments, historical changes, and everything they do in our lives, past and present. If you’re looking for a good film, here are some of my recommendations.

Little Women (2019)

While this novel has been turned into many movies, Little Women encapsulates the essence of growing up, sisterhood, and finding yourself. Directed by Greta Gerwig and adapted from Louisa May Alcott’s novel by the same name, this film is held close to my heart for its representation of women and their lives. If you’re looking for a film that captures stories many women can relate to, I highly recommend this.

Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am (2019)

When I first watched this film, I was taking Nations and Nationalities. Looking back, I didn’t appreciate the full glory of Toni Morrison’s story. This documentary explores the human condition and America, alongside its relationship with race and history. Through the life of Morrison, the documentary illustrates how she turned from the white gaze and brought about writing for her black community as a better understanding of themselves and their own lives.

Legally Blonde (2001)

This movie is iconic. While some may disagree, I consider this to be a feminist classic. After being dumped, Elle Woods makes a plan to win back her ex by going to Harvard Law School. While her reasons were muddled in the beginning, Woods becomes a powerful law student and not only recognizes her own power — but empowers the women around her while fighting against the sexist and patriarchal system designed to make her fail. Again, a classic.

Hidden Figures (2016)

What do Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, and Janelle Monáe have in common? These powerful women all starred in the film Hidden Figures. Based on the real lives of three astounding African-American women at NASA, the film documents the struggles and accomplishments of Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan, and Mary Jackson that served as the brains for one of the greatest operations in history: the launch of an astronaut that changed the course of the Space Race. If you’re more of a drama or history buff, this film is for you.

Moxie (2021)

The newest movie on the block, Moxie, encompasses a coming-of-age teenager who decides to call out the sexism in her school — all inspired by her mother and new friend. If you’ve ever dreamt of calling out the injustices of your life, this film will fill you with content over its showcase of teen life and the boxes people try to place you in. If that doesn’t convince you, Amy Poehler directs this film and she does a fabulous job.

Lady Bird (2017)

Once again, Greta Gerwig makes it to the table with another film starring Saorise Ronan. This is a coming-of-age story that encapsulates the tempestuous relationship between a mother and her daughter who’s just a little too much like her. Throughout the film, we see the struggles of finding yourself alongside navigating the transition from high school to college and understanding relationships.

Mulan (1998)

You can’t go wrong with this Disney animated classic. The 1998 film is all about female empowerment and struggles Mulan faces as she fights for her family’s honor — all while facing sexism that women face. While some might say that’s a stretch, I urge you to rewatch this. Remember the scenes of Mulan being told she can’t fight because she’s a girl; remember the disappointment she brings after the Matchmaker decides Mulan will never marry; remember the dishonor Mulan faces when the soldiers realize she’s a woman. All of these, and more, focus on her struggle of being a woman and how she overcomes the prejudice against her.

The Devil Wears Prada (2006)

What can I say? I’m a sucker for Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep. The Devil Wears Prada is a comedy-drama that focuses on the turbulent career of Andy, a recent college graduate that lands a dream job at Runway magazine. In the film, we watch her blossom into a cutthroat assistant under the watchful eye of her editor. Personally, I was always disappointed when she left — but it’s a beautiful tale of strong women and their roles in a world that doesn’t want them there.

The Help (2011)

This period drama was the first film I ever saw Viola Davis in and she has owned my heart ever since. Based on Gute Geister’s book under the same name, this book portrays the tension between segregated groups and gives Black women their voices to speak out. While I’m not a fan of the white savior character, this movie blends comedy with social issues perfectly. Plus, Octavia Spencer giving a pie made with feces is still the best scene I’ve ever seen in any movie.

Audrie & Daisy (2016)

Closing out the list, we have another documentary. Audrie & Daisy focuses on rape culture across America, showcasing the struggles of online harassment, mental health, and overcoming the trauma of sexual assault. While both victims have tragically passed, their stories highlight the problems women face after speaking out against their attackers — especially when the attackers were once their friends. This heartbreaking documentary urges us to face the truth and open our eyes to the rape culture all around us.

This month, take the time to watch movies that are by women and about women. While this list doesn’t comprise every film created by and for women, these films offer a glimpse into the life of a woman that isn’t solely tied to a man.

Madi Armstrong

Virginia Tech '23

Madi Armstrong is a senior studying multimedia journalism with minors in Spanish and creative writing. Through writing, she hopes to empower those around her to advocate for what they believe in and to use their experiences in ways to help others. Proud to be part of Her Campus, she hopes to leave a lasting impact and create an environment where everyone feels welcome.