Being Short and Awesome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Whether it’s at a party or casual hang out with a group of friends, I have always been the token “tiny Asian girl.” And to be honest, I secretly enjoy and embrace my lack of success in the height department. Sure, being used as the occasional arm rest and called “12-year-old” gets old(er) after a while and I may have developed a slight temper and a bit of a competitive edge to make up for my lack of height, but my twenty years of experience has taught me ways to use my physicality to my
advantage.

I have pulled off adorable dresses that should technically be classified as shirts without receiving a look of disapproval. On tall girls, these dresses would have to be paired with tights or even jeans, but not on me. They cover everything that needs to be covered and even a few inches more. Hell, I can even pair it with a cute belt around the waist sometimes.

Speaking of pairs, being short comes with a slight insecurity: small boobs. But why let that be a negative aspect when you can work it to your advantage? The thing is, lack of cleavage makes cute low-cut or tight-fitting (or both) shirts look more or less appropriate. So now, I can ditch the scratchy tank top under my v-neck and walk across the Drill Field freely without worrying about my girls showing or people judging me for something that I’m not.

The best part about being tiny is that it lets me pull the “cute” girl card. For some unidentified reason, it seems like tiny girls can go to a party and just start flirting and acting cute more easily than tall girls. Okay, that one I’m probably just trying to subconsciously justify being a flirt.

However, what I’m not making up is the fact that according to multiple studies and analyses, women are subconsciously attracted to taller men. This is because height indicates good genes and a wealthy background, indicating to us that taller men will be a more suitable candidate to protect our offspring and us. Thanks to Mother Nature, I have no problems when it comes to finding guys that are taller than me to date. And when I am dating a guy, I never have to worry whether or not this pair of heels will make me look taller than him. Those are two less problems (and when it comes to dating, we could all use less problems)!

People always take digs at me for being tiny, but the bottom line is… I like being tiny. It’s what makes me awesome. So when I wake up tomorrow morning, I’m going to embrace my tininess, just like I do every day.

Photo Credit:
http://collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Four_Christmases/four_christmases_movie_image_reese_witherspoon__kristin_chenoweth__vince_vaughn.jpg

Caitlin is a senior Professional Writing major. Besides Her Campus, she is the Internal Social Chairwoman for Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. She loves the beach, animals, shopping, yoga, and Hokie football!