This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Welcome! If you’re reading this article that means one of two things: One, you’re interested in astrology and want to learn a bit more about the basics, or two, you don’t believe in astrology at all and you’re already thinking of ways to discredit whatever I write here. Well, if you’re a two, I’ve heard it all before. You probably think horoscopes are just “general statements” with “no factual basis,” and, if I had to guess, you’re an earth sign. Maybe an air sign, maybe, but most likely an earth sign. All I have to say to you is, keep reading. To me, astrology is a great form of self-reflection, and you may be surprised by what you find out about yourself.

Now, for those of you who are newbies to the world of astrology and want to learn more, let me go ahead and break it down for you. 

There are 12 zodiac signs and four elements: fire, water, earth, and air. The 12 zodiac signs are broken up into four groups of three, meaning each element rules three zodiac signs. 

For reference, the three fire signs are Aries, Sagittarius, and Leo, the three water signs are Pisces, Cancer, and Scorpio, the three earth signs are: Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn, and the three air signs are: Libra, Gemini, and Aquarius (and yes, I know Aquarius sounds like it should be a water sign, but it’s not. It is an air sign.) 

Each element comes with its own set of core values that the three signs all share. However, each individual signs has its own unique set of attributes, and, just because some traits may be highlighted in one element (such as work-ethic with earth signs), it does not mean the other signs (water, fire, and air), lack those characteristics, it just means those traits are more prominent in others.

Zodiac signs on building
Photo by Josh Rangel on Unsplash
Take a minute and find your sign if you don’t know it already. I’ve listed them below.

Aries (March 21 – April 19)

Taurus (April 20 – May 20)

Gemini (May 21 – June 20)

Cancer (June 21 – July 22)

Leo (July 23 – August 22)

Virgo (August 23 – September 22)

Libra (September 23 – October 22)

Scorpio (October 23 – November 21)

Sagittarius (November 22 – December 21)

Capricorn (December 22 – January 19) 

Aquarius (January 20 – February 18)

Pisces (February 19 – March 20)

Based on your birthday, you should be able to figure out your zodiac sign rather quickly. This sign, however, is only one of many astrological signs that make up who you are. 

The sign you’ve found based on the information above is known as your sun sign. While most people only ever explore their sun sign, there are many other signs that rule different aspects of one’s personality and behavior. 

Each planet rules a different part of yourself. For example, Venus rules your relationships and Mercury rules communication. 

Just how everyone’s sun sign is dependent on their birthday, and individuals moon, rising, and other signs are dependent on their birthday, birthplace, and time. To figure out the different signs, you would need to have your birth/natal chart analyzed, which you can do online!

The main three most people tend to focus on are one’s sun, moon, and rising sign. As I said, one’s sun sign is the sign they naturally gravitate towards, and sometimes it’s the only sign someone knows they have. Your sun sign is who you are in your most authentic form. Your sun sign highlights your true values and helps us determine where our drive and passions stem from. Your moon sign is the sign which rules your emotions, meaning, this sign can give you insight on how you react when emotional, how you process your emotions, and how your emotions are perceived by others. This sign is a part of you that you tend to keep hidden from the world. After all, a person’s emotional self is their most vulnerable self. Then, there is your rising sign. Your rising sign is a representation of how others see you. While this sign is helpful when wanting to learn more about how you hold yourself, it can be deceiving. This is because people only see what you allow them to. This is why, while your rising sign is what people see, your sun sign is who you are behind the social mask you wear, and your moon sign is how you truly feel, regardless of if you make those feelings known.

Since people have different rising, moon, and other planetary signs, this explains why you may be best friends with one Aries, and hate another. It’s more than likely that their other signs do not align.

An individual’s zodiac sign can give them insight on their personality, including their strengths, weaknesses, habits, and even career suggestions. Whether you believe in astrology or not, reading about your sign can make an individual reflect and ask themselves, do I practice this trait? And, think of any necessary changes they may need to make in order to benefit themselves, their relationship, or other people.

Madeline Quiroz-Haden

Virginia Tech '21

Catch me at Burger 37, binge-watching Arrested Development on Netflix, all while stressing over my latest COMM assignment :)
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.