Culture > Digital

Another Spotify Wrapped That Nobody Asked For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I think we can all agree that Spotify Wrapped season is the best time of year. It’s like a universal Christmas gift that we all get to open at the same time. Except, each of ours is a bit unique to us. Everyone loves to share it on social media. Friends and family compare their listening habits. Sometimes the results can be embarrassing or even surprising. This year, my top artists and songs were no surprise to me. Enough chit-chatting, here’s how my Spotify 2022 unraveled…

Genres

My top genre was indie rock followed by alternative emo. These two genres are like fraternal twins: similar but not identical. What did take me by surprise is my third genre: pop. I’m not even quite sure what I listened to that could have been considered pop; nonetheless, I must believe in the data. Moving on, rock and indie folk were my next most popular genres, respectively.

Songs

My top five songs from 2022 represent what I’d like to believe was a trying but unforgettable year. My most popular song, which I streamed a total of sixty-five times, was “Every Stone” by Manchester Orchestra. This song truly was my anthem. It’s about the consequences of isolating yourself from others — something I’m guilty of doing way too often. My second most popular song was “Routine Pain” by Spanish Love Songs. I adore this song. I can’t remember how I ever stumbled upon it but I’m forever grateful that I did. It carried me through some of my lowest days. My favorite lyric goes as follows, “And I’m so sick of saying sorry when I cry.” This alternative emo masterpiece is about anxiety and depression and just how low they can make a person feel. Listen to this song if you want to cry your eyes out and then go smash something. Another runner-up includes “Simple Math” by Manchester Orchestra. I listened to this song so much that I can’t play it anymore. Actually, yes I can and I do because it’s that good. The way this song builds and crescendos is like a slice of heaven on earth. Another hard-hitting lyric goes like this, “What if I’ve been trying to get where I’ve always been?” Funny enough, I used this lyric like a compass — reminding myself that I’m exactly where I need to be; however, this song is actually about infidelity. Oops. My next favorite song of 2022 was “Twinkle” by Jeff Rosenstock — an artist I found within the same year which quickly became a staple in most of my playlists. Unfortunately, I must admit that this song made the top five only because it’s the first track of one of his albums. Usually, I like to begin albums from the beginning but I never seem to make it all the way through them. Hence, the reason why this song ranked so highly. Nevertheless, I do still enjoy this song, it’s just not my favorite one of his. Last but not least, another song by Manchester Orchestra, “Never Really Been Another Way Out.” This song also holds a special place in my heart. If you couldn’t tell by now, anything Manchester Orchestra touches turns to gold in my opinion. 

Artists

And you guessed it, Manchester Orchestra was my top artist of the year. I think they’ll be my top artist until I die. Now, everyone assumes this band is an orchestra due to the name. However, they are in fact not an orchestra but an indie rock band instead. They are based out of Atlanta, Georgia. I saw them in concert this year at The National in Richmond, Virginia. They have an impressive discography of seven albums and numerous other songs. Their music genuinely brings me immense comfort and joy. I highly recommend checking them out. Jeff Rosenstock was my second favorite artist. This band has more of an indie-punk feel to it. The lyrics are always funny and the sounds are always punchy. My third top artist was IDLES. You may have heard of them if you like rock. They have become more and more popular just recently. Their newest album, Crawler, was nominated for a Grammy, actually. Their music is so emotional, raw, and uplifting all at the same time. Next up is Ben Howard — a solo artist who always manages to make my top five. I’m obsessed with his music. Every album and every song is beautiful. His lyrics, supported by his fantastic guitar-playing skills, are unmatched. What surprised me most was my fifth artist: Nirvana. I’m sure you’re aware of this iconic grunge band. I obviously enjoy their music. I guess I just didn’t realize how much I truly did.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed reading about my Spotify Wrapped. I’m typically hesitant to share my music taste for whatever reason. This year, I figured I’d go out on a limb and share it with the world or just a few dozen curious readers. 

Alden Koupal

Virginia Tech '26

Hi, my name is Alden Koupal. I'm from Richmond, Virginia. I'm a freshman at Virginia Tech majoring in international studies. I enjoy going for long walks, listening to music, and eating sweets. I'm an introvert at heart and I adore reading and writing. Her Campus feels like a dream come true. The freedom to contribute to such an inclusive community feels infinitely rewarding.