8 Ways to Get Into The Holiday Spirit Without Spending Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I adore the holiday season. It brings so much comfort, stability and magic into my life, especially when the cold weather starts to bring me down. It’s no surprise that I fully support getting into the Christmas spirit early. However, I’ve noticed many corporations are motivated by more than just “holiday cheer” when they unveil seasonal products. Businesses use early promotions and marketing to encourage consumers to spend money on these products. This commercialization allows businesses to extend the holiday shopping season and increase profits. Unfortunately, it seems to be working. We’ve subconsciously associated being festive with spending money. Every festive tik-tok includes some Christmas tree candle or holly-jolly mug that your holiday season would be incomplete without. Getting into the holiday spirit doesn’t have to be expensive. These free or low-cost activities can help you celebrate the season while creating lasting memories with loved ones without breaking the bank just yet.

Decorate with what you have

There are so many tempting decorations to buy, but you’ll probably regret spending 15$ on an ornament. Raid your storage room for decorations, and you may be surprised by how much you already have. Alternatively, you can DIY holiday decorations from materials you have at home. Paper snowflakes, popcorn garlands, or handcrafted ornaments are super cute and budget-friendly.

Watch holiday movies and shows: 
victorious christmas?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Nickolodeon / Netflix

Watching your holiday comfort movies will immediately put you in a festive mood. Grab some friends and you have yourself a super fun and super free activity.

Attend free local events

Keep an eye out for upcoming events in your area like tree-lighting ceremonies, parades, or open-air concerts. These are a great way to get into the holiday spirit, and many of them are free.

Bake and cook festive recipes

Cooking and food is such an integral part of the holidays. Spending time baking cookies, making gingerbread houses, or preparing traditional dishes is an instant mood booster. Sharing your homemade treats with friends and family is a wonderful way to bond during the season.

Listen to Christmas music 

Making an annual holiday playlist is so much fun. There’s something about Maria Carrey’s All I Want For Christmas Is You that will instantly put you in a festive mood.

Make handmade gifts

Handmade gifts like homemade candles, knitted scarves, or personalized ornaments are super thoughtful. Not only are they fun and rewarding to make, but homemade gifts are so much more meaningful than store-bought ones.

Plan a festive potluck

Invite some friends over for dinner where everyone contributes a dish. It’s a budget-friendly way to share a holiday meal.

Host a holiday-themed game night

Invite friends over for board games or card games. Add in some decorations, festive music, and food and you’ve got game night with a holiday twist. It’s a fun and cost-effective way to celebrate.

All of these help get me into the holiday spirit with my friends and family without buying into the corporate charade. The holiday season should be about making memories with the ones you love, not how much money you’ve spent.

Allie McBride

Virginia Tech '26

Hi! I'm Allie from northern VA, and I'm an English major. I love baking, playing video games, and talking about the latest TV show I'm obsessed with. I love to dance and I'm always down for some arts and crafts.