This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

More often than not, people rush from Halloween to the holidays without a second thought. Before Halloween has even happened, the aisles of Walmart and Target quickly transition from costumes and candy to Christmas ornaments and gingerbread houses. Even though I love the holiday season and I’m definitely prone to listening to Christmas music right when November 1st hits, this year I’m trying to be more conscious about celebrating the month of November and the transition from Halloween to the holidays. As the days get shorter and darker, final exams approach, and we eagerly wait for a break, here are some ideas to make the most out of your November and keep spirits high as the holidays round the corner.

monthly reset

I always love the beginning of a new month because it’s such a great way to start fresh and reflect on the past month. For the first week of November especially, prioritize yourself and self care. Doing things like a bedroom deep clean, creating a November playlist, making a monthly schedule, meal prepping and planning, and journaling are all great ways to make yourself feel refreshed and renewed as a new month begins.

Fall movie Marathon

November feels like a very transitionary month between October and December where it’s not quite Halloween and not quite Christmas. But, Fall is still in full swing and before winter comes, a Fall movie marathon is a must to celebrate Autumn. Think of watching classics like When Harry Met Sally, Dead Poet’s Society, or Harry Potter for the cozy, autumnal vibes.

get outside

Make it a priority to get outside at least once a day throughout November. The weather may be getting colder, but November is the perfect Fall month to get outdoors before it freezes. Whether it’s enjoying a walk at the park, doing homework outside, or hiking on the weekends, soak up the crisp weather and bask in the Fall foliage throughout the month of November.

Register for a turkey trot

While running may not be everyone’s favorite activity, participating in a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving can help make getting active a little more fun. If you Google Turkey Trot, dozens of races pop up across the country. Most take place early in the morning on Thanksgiving which means you can get a whole 5k in before the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade starts. Many people dress up and there’s often food and live music at the races which makes the race so much more fun. Start November off with doing a Nike Run club program, which encourages you to run several times a week, to prepare for the end of the month Turkey Trot.

Bake something new each week

Nothing says “stress relief” better than baking. Prepare for for the gifting season by spicing up your baking skills and learning how to make something new each week. Not only is baking a great way to destress by making some homemade comfort food, it’s also a great way to connect with friends and family. Call up your friends or family and make it a whole baking event with new recipes or themed Spotify playlists to set the mood.

Prepare for gift giving

Whether you’re making all of your presents or buying them, start early to beat the last minute stress for gift giving in November. By planning what you’re getting for specific people or starting Secret Santa’s early this year, it can make your holiday season less stressful and create a fun activity to look forward to each week in November as you begin to shop or create your gifts. Setting aside a couple minutes a week or one full weekend to gift prep can ring in the holiday season throughout the month while still being intentional about celebrating November and the end of Fall itself.

Practice gratitude

During finals and holidays, we can sometimes get caught up and forget to live in the moment. By slowing down and practicing gratitude we can recenter our mindset on the important things in life. Try writing down 5-10 things you’re grateful for everyday whether it is in a physical journal or an iPhone notes app, just whatever works for you. Acknowledging what you’re grateful for is a great way to celebrate Thanksgiving and be more present in your everyday life.

Sylvia Mack

Virginia Tech '24

Sylvia is a senior at Virginia Tech studying Communication with a double minor in Sociology and Event and Experience Management.