Life > Experiences

6 Ways to Celebrate Women’s History Month on Campus 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

For many people (including myself, I’m sad to say), Women’s History Month goes mostly unacknowledged. But why should it? Why not make it something to celebrate in your life? Although we are halfway through Women’s History Month now, there are still a lot of local opportunities to commemorate while making a difference. 

Donate

Number one on the list is probably the most obvious: open your wallet. Whether you can spare five bucks or 50, this is a very valuable and low-effort way to support the women in your community. There are a number of causes you can give to in the Blacksburg area. Some great organizations to support are the New River Abortion Access Fund, Women’s Resource Center and Blacksburg Junior Women’s Club

You can also donate menstrual products to Period@VT’s period products drive. During the month of March, the student organization Period@VT has partnered with the Women’s Center at Virginia Tech, VT Engage, and the Graduate Life Center to run a period products donation drive. You can leave a box — or several boxes — at one of the drop-off locations in the Women’s Center or VT Engage offices.

Educate yourself

This year’s Women’s History Month calendar is chock-full of opportunities to hear from expert speakers on women’s issues. 

March 19: The YMCA at Blacksburg is holding a free event to raise awareness about women’s health. 

March 21: The Women in Math panel will explore what it’s like to work as a woman in mathematics.

March 22-27: The Black Women & Wellness Series will have a wide variety of panels and wellness activities around campus.

Join the conversation

Gathering with fellow women to discuss life, health, or careers can be another rewarding way to celebrate this month. 

March 25: The Pamplin Women’s Summit will give female students and faculty in the business department an opportunity to meet, learn, and network with each other. 

March 27-31: Attend a workshop for the Clothesline Project, which is a visual representation of the effects of gender-based violence.

On March 30: Join an open conversation about periods and period poverty. You can register for any and all of these events on the Women’s Center website.

Support female artists 

Why not have some fun with Women’s History Month? You can see two amazing art exhibitions in Moss Arts Center, where artists Anne Samat and Yanira Collado have their work on display until the end of the month. You can hear Virginia Tech’s all-female acapella group, Soulstice, celebrate their 25-year anniversary on March 19 at Moss Arts Center. The Moss Arts Center will also host a performance on March 30 and 31 from country singer Rissi Palmer

Rally

If you’re feeling social, you can join in on a rally on March 30 at Henderson Lawn. Take Back the Night is an annual event hosted by the United Feminist Movement to protest gender-based violence and to support survivors. There will be music starting at 6:30 p.m. and the rally will begin at 7 p.m..

Celebrate yourself and the women in your life

This will look different for everyone. You could treat yourself and a friend to a latte, do yoga, or take a walk. You could write an appreciative note to a woman that you admire. You could read or reread a book from a female author you love. Maybe you could even brainstorm your own initiative to uplift women in your community.

The options are endless and highly personal, but whatever you choose to do, have a great Women’s History Month from me.

Autumn Telles

Virginia Tech '23

I am a senior studying multimedia journalism with a minor in cinema. I write for Her Campus on issues that resonate with me, such as gender equality, environmentalism, and media literacy.