This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Plus some tips and tricks on how to start

I have been an avid journal-er since 7th grade. Over the years I have completely filled out three journals and I’m nearly done with my fourth. Journaling has helped me significantly throughout adolescence and the beginning of my adulthood. Here are some reasons why I think you should start journaling along with some tips and tricks on how to stay consistent at it.

1. it’s your journal, do whatever you want with it

Journaling can be whatever you want it to be. You don’t have to only write about your day or a certain prompt. I have collages, lists, drawings, quotes and notes in my journal. I love to keep my journal colorful and expressive because it keeps me motivated to keep using it.

2. it is so fun to look back on past prompts

I love to be able to look back on when I wrote about past crushes, dramas or experiences. Journaling allows me to see how I’ve grown over the years and what brought me to where I am today.

3. you can get your emotions out with no consequence

We’ve all had moments where we feel tempted to send a risky text or lash out. The beauty of a journal is that it is your own sacred space. When I was younger I would hide my journal from my mom because I was worried she would snoop around in it. You are allowed to write whatever you’re feeling in it because no one is allowed to look in it. Embracing this aspect of journaling allows you to let all of those bundled up emotions spill out onto a page.

4. you are able to organize your thoughts and make sense of them

Being a college student, I can have a lot going on all at once and I’m sure that can happen to you as well. Journaling about what overwhelms me allows me to break down stressors and pinpoint what really matters and what doesn’t.

5. You do not need to journal everyday

I have found it most helpful to only journal when I feel like it. Journaling is something that should be fun and helpful to you. Forcing yourself to journal can cause you to burnout and make it feel like a chore.

6. Seek inspiration

If you find yourself having writer’s block or becoming unmotivated to journal, find inspiration. I like to use Pinterest but you can also use instagram, youtube or Tik Tok. There are also journals with prompts already written in them, such as the “Burn After Writing” journal.

Here are some prompts to help you get started:

• gratitude list
  • affirmations
  • mood board
  • bucket list
  • a letter to someone
  • wish list
  • what make you happy
Laura Lafreniere

Virginia Tech '27

Hi! My name is Laura and I am a freshman at Virginia Tech. I am majoring in multimedia journalism with a minor in international relations. I like to journal, read, and go to the gym. 🩵🌱🌞