alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips to Tackle the New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

It’s the new year! A new year brings the traditional new year’s resolutions. Have you ever found yourself making new year’s resolutions year after year, and never keeping them? Every year, we make resolutions such as aiming to work out more, spend less time on our phones, eat better, and so on. New Year’s resolutions are an important part of our lives because they help us keep track of where we want to be and let us hit the reset every year. However, it is important to turn those resolutions into a reality. Here are five ways to turn your resolutions into a lifestyle:

1. Write them down.  

Resolutions take time to carry out effectively. Just keeping them in your thoughts makes it hard to actually go through with them. With that said, it’s important to take some time and write these goals down. Whether it be in a journal or a notebook, writing them will make you more likely to complete them. Providing yourself with a timeline of when you want each of your resolutions completed can also be helpful in ensuring that you achieve your goals in a timely manner.

2. Be specific with your goals.

As you start to write out your resolutions, it is key that you are specific in what goals you want to accomplish. Being realistic will allow you to not overwhelm yourself with too many goals that you may not get to accomplish all by the end of the year. That said, keeping goals specific makes them even easier to keep track of!

3. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself.

Resolutions take time to accomplish, especially with larger tasks, so don’t stress if you don’t complete them within your initial set timeline. It is unrealistic that you’re going to complete each of your goals without any bumps in the road. There will be times where you struggle; however, don’t let that stop you from accomplishing your goals. Take a breath and regroup; keep in mind that you will achieve your goals and that even a little bit of progress is still progress.

4. Tell your friends and family.

When we tell our resolutions to those close to us, they can now hold us accountable for what we set out to do. Your friends and family can also serve as your support system while you are handling a tougher goal. They will be able to help you work towards your goals and encourage you every step of the way. Who knows, maybe you and your friends could have some of the same resolutions. In this case, you could motivate each other in order to achieve your goals more successfully. Don’t be ashamed to share your resolutions for the new year; be proud of wanting to make progress!

5. Keep yourself in control.

Although it is important to get support, it is also important for you to maintain in control of your own goals. Your friends and family can guide and support you, but at the end of the day, it’s your actions that need to change to get the results you want. Hold yourself accountable and take responsibility for your new year’s resolutions. You set these goals yourself, so stay the course and stick with it. You can do it!

Now that you have all the tools you need to tackle your new year’s resolutions, start the new year off on the right foot. Take these tips and use them to upgrade your life in 2019! Happy new year, collegiettes!

Image Source:

Giphy

Elizabeth Owusu

Virginia Tech '22

Elizabeth is a undergrad at Virginia Tech and is a double major in Sociology and Political Science. Her top three favorite things to do are hangout with friends, working out, and writing. Fun Fact, her favorite food is boneless wings! Her ideal night includes cuddling up under a warm blanket watching the Bold Type. In addition to Her Campus, she is involved in the Sociology/ Criminology club, a living learning community, and a foundation focused on empowering young girls called AWARE. From her experience writing with Her Campus, she hopes to grow as a writer by stepping out of her comfort zone as well as connect to people. Her instagram is: Elizaabeth14.