This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

In 2010, a team of researchers from universities in Kansas, Pittsburgh, and Texas published a study measuring the effect of hobbies and leisure pursuits on the health of 1,399 diverse participants. The study uncovered those with hobbies had better physical health, more sleep, lower stress, improved happiness, more friends, and improved work performance. This is because a creative hobby reduces stress and builds self-confidence, opening the door for so many positive results.

I love having hobbies. As college students, we tend to experience a lot of stress and boredom. Hobbies can make our free time fun, challenging and even educational. My favorite hobbies are creative ones. It’s very satisfying to make something completely yourself. However, if you’ve never been a particularly artistic person, it is difficult—and sometimes embarrassing—to try. Here are some creative hobbies that are easy to start and provide beautiful results regardless of your skill level. Happy crafting.

Listicle Item 4 Pull On Seams?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Kami Gallardo
Embroidery

Embroidery is the paint-by-numbers of the sewing world. You can follow a premade pattern, and eventually start embroidering your doodles. All it requires is a needle, thread, and an embroidery hoop. You can embellish a t-shirt, backpack, or any other fabric you desire.

Baking

Baking is one of my favorite hobbies. Following recipes is very fun and satisfying (especially the eating part). I love the social aspect, as you can bake with your friends and share the tasty results.

Scrapbooking/collages

This one is great for those into photography and upcycling. You can turn everyday paper objects—flyers, cardboard boxes, etc.—into a collage/scrapbook. It is a very inexpensive activity with beautiful results.

Journaling

Journaling is a very therapeutic hobby. Even if you never share what you write, it is still satisfying to unload all your emotions. 

Jewelry Making

You can make jewelry with a multitude of mediums. It’s easy to make friendship or beaded bracelets, and you can experiment with combinations of the two. 

Allie McBride

Virginia Tech '26

Hi! I'm Allie from northern VA, and I'm an English major. I love baking, playing video games, and talking about the latest TV show I'm obsessed with. I love to dance and I'm always down for some arts and crafts.