Morning Routines: How to Have a Successful Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

Not everyone is a morning person, and that is okay! Though I am a morning person now, I have not always been one. My alarm used to go off, and I would be out the door within five minutes. I learned that this was not the best way to go about my morning. If I didn’t prioritize myself in the morning, I would start my day grumpy and tired. Through much trial and error, I discovered that having a morning routine can help me get out of bed in the morning and start my day right, which helped me become a morning person. By preparing yourself for the day, you are setting yourself up for success. This is what I have been doing lately to boost my morale and productivity. 

The night before:

The first part of a morning routine starts the night before. I make sure that my room is clean, my clothes are picked out, and I have a glass of water next to my bed. The key to getting a good night’s sleep and waking up refreshed is by setting yourself up for success the night before. This way, I can save time in the morning so I can focus on doing things I enjoy, like my skincare routine. 

Ring ring! It’s time to get up. 

Just like everyone else, I start my day with alarms. I try not to set more than three, because I know the more I snooze them, the less I want to get up. By the third alarm, I’m up and getting dressed. I find that if I don’t get dressed first, it’s much more likely that I’ll get back in bed. 

Then, I make my bed. Every day. I never leave my room with an unmade bed. If you couldn’t tell, the most important thing in the morning is preventing getting back into bed. The second priority is waking your mind and body up. 

Refresh and energize yourself. 

I always wash my face with cold water. The splash of cold water immediately refreshes my skin and energizes me. I use the CeraVe Salicylic Acid Cleanser as my face wash, and then I brush my teeth with a fluoride toothpaste. I also use a fluoride mouthwash to prevent cavities. 

For skincare, I use a vitamin C serum followed by the CeraVe face lotion. I always always put sunscreen on my face too (I want to look like I’m in college forever).  My current favorite is the Supergoop Matte Screen, because the tint evens out my skin tone and adds a bronzing look while also protecting my face from the sun! 

Makeup (sometimes). 

Now comes makeup. I’ll often mix the Drunk Elephant D-Bronzi Bronzing Drops with my face lotion for an extra glow. When I put on a full face of makeup, my go-to base is the Rare Beauty tinted moisturizer with the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer. On top, I add the Benefit Hoola bronzer and Shellie blush. I’m also currently obsessing over the Rare Beauty Positive Light Liquid Luminizer Highlighter in the shade “Mesmerize.” It’s the perfect shade of pink with a touch of sparkle. Then I go in with the L’Oréal Telescopic Mascara. Lastly, I use the Glossier Cherry Balm Dotcom for some color on my lips. 

I like to think of the morning as my “me time.” Prioritizing my morning routine by waking up early, being efficient with my time, and setting myself up for success allows me to have the best day possible. I would recommend some type of morning routine like this for everyone!

Tallulah Laska

Villanova '24

Tallulah loves all things lifestyle, health, and wellness. She is passionate self-love and prioritizing happiness. She aspires to be a physician so she can help people be the best version of themselves.