How to get Winter Skin Spring Break Ready

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

In this seemingly endless winter season, our skin often bears the brunt of the harsh cold weather. Unforgiving winter winds bring with them chapped, rough skin as well as dry flakes and itchiness – our skin’s worst nightmare. But not to fear, these simple beauty regimens help fight off winter skin woes so that you and your skin can enjoy the rest of the season without worrying and have a glowing complexion just in time for Spring Break!

1. Water.  H2O is a girls’ best friend for not only health and diet purposes, but also for skin! Water flushes toxins out of the body to help skin stay clean and clear. Most importantly, it provides hydration needed to prevent dryness. Health professionals recommend drinking eight to ten cups of water a day. If an  iced or cold beverage may not be your drink of choice for the colder days of winter, try drinking tea instead.

2. Moisturize. If you think water alone can beat the harshest winter air, think again. Moisturizing your body is the most effective way to banish flakey skin. Try lathering on lotion right after a hot shower so the moisturizer sinks deeper into your skin. The hot water from the shower will open your pores and help you better absorb products. A great drug store purchase is the Olay Quench Daily Lotion. Or, for those looking to get a little color before spring break, Jergens Natural Glow Moisturizer is a great option.

3. Night Creams. Loaded with minerals and antioxidants, night creams are heavier than normal day creams. This added thickness allows for the product to soak deeper  into your pores and allows for  generous overnight moisturizing. Put this cream on before you go to bed and wake up with baby soft skin in the morning. Lancome’s Beinfait Multi-Vital Night Creme is a wonderful product for the winter months and a personal favorite. A cheaper alternative is the Olay Regenerist Night Recovery Cream.

4. Aquaphor. Everyone should own a tube of of this because it is quite possibly one of the greatest beauty products ever made! Of its many capabilities, Aquaphor heals burns, dry skin, flakes and eczema, and it makes for a great lip balm or an impromptu makeup remover. Keep this tiny wonder handy for all your winter skin care needs.

5. Short showers. Although long hot showers and baths may be a wonderful start or end to a cold winter day, you may need to rethink this common practice. Excessive exposure to hot water can actually dry out your skin and strip it of its natural oils. Save water and your skin by keeping showers short!

6. Exfoliate! Make sure to slaw off dead skin cells with a body and face exfoliator! Only do this a few times a week, though, so you do not dry out your skin. Exfoliation allows for cell turnover, which helps to eliminate flakes and dryness. It also allows for new skin cells to absorb moisturizers by getting rid of  the dead cells which blocks your skin from getting the moisture it deserves. Keep this beauty regime consistent, even when it gets warm again!

Megan Cahill is a Junior Marketing and International Business Co-major at Villanova University. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Villanova. A Boston native, she enjoys coastal living, iced beverages, and occasionally using the word wicked as an adjective. You can often find her brainstorming in Bartley, adding items to her multiple online shopping carts, and planning her next travel excursion. Follow her on Instagram, @megancahill15