Style > Beauty

For Anyone With Hair Loss, Here Are My Favorite Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

For many of us, hair is something that we deeply value in regard to self-image. About five years ago, I began noticing my hair was falling out and had become really thin. This certainly hurt my confidence, especially because my hair was something I loved about myself. Not only was I losing my hair, but I was also having tons of issues with its texture and quality. No matter what shampoo or conditioner or treatment I used, my hair was constantly greasy and super stringy. I never wanted to wear my hair down, because it didn’t look clean, and I never wanted to wear it up, because I had noticeably lost hair. 

I spent the entire summer going into my junior year of high school searching for products that could help. Later that year, When I was initially diagnosed with alopecia, the shampoos recommended by my dermatologist only worked for a couple of months. I have spent years looking for the right products. So, when I started experiencing the same problems during my sophomore year of college, I was determined to find some products that would help me, and help me long-term. Here are the top products I have used over the past year that have improved my hair growth, texture, and quality:

hers Minoxidil 2% Topical Hair Regrowth Solution 

This product was recommended to me by my dermatologist, and I absolutely love it! Although it takes a long time (up to 4 months) to see results, the investment is definitely worth it. Every night, I would put 1.5mL of the solution into my scalp, and smooth it into my hair. For me, it took about 2 or 3 months to see some new hair growth. The only downside to the product is that you do have to be consistent in using it—otherwise it won’t work to its full effect. If you stop using the solution, your new hair won’t fall out, but it will stop growing. After using this product for over a year, I can say without a doubt that the long-term results are worth it, even if it was originally hard to stay consistent! 

hers Rapid Repair Hair Mask & Detox Scalp Scrub 

These two products can be used separately, but work best if used together. I only use these every once in a while, but they definitely help my hair look and feel super smooth and soft. I start by using the detox scrub, which really helps to clear out my scalp. After washing it out, I shampoo, condition, then put in the hair mask. As someone who is pretty busy and constantly on the go, I will say it can make my shower routine a bit time-consuming. But when I am looking for a good way to deep clean my hair and scalp, these products work perfectly.

Ethique St Clements Clarifying Shampoo Bar 

Out of everything I have tried over the years, this is by far my favorite product! I have recommended it to just about everyone I know. I have also saved so much money using this shampoo bar. It is pretty inexpensive and it will last MONTHS (it took me a year to go through two bars, and I just bought my third one). It is the only shampoo I have been able to use consistently for over a year. I use the St Clements Clarifying bar for oily hair, but Ethique has bars for all types of hair! One bar is equivalent to three 350mL bottles of shampoo, and it also comes in sustainable packaging. Not only are you taking care of your hair, but you’re taking care of the environment, too!

Kevin Murphy Leave-In Repair 

This is one of the pricier hair treatments I have used, but I definitely recommend it. When I was first diagnosed with alopecia, the shampoos I had to use were designed to just grow my hair, rather than improve its quality. My stylist suggested this if you have been using a shampoo like T-Gel or T-Sal, this treatment may work for you! After you wash your hair, just smooth it into your hair while it’s still wet. It will leave your hair looking fuller, smoother, and shinier. 

I love all of these products, but what works for some may not work for others. I can speak from experience when I say that finding the right shampoos, conditioners, treatments, oils, etc., can be a really frustrating and lengthy process. My best advice is to be patient—you WILL find something that works. Your stylists (and dermatologists if you have a specific hair/scalp condition) are great resources as well. It never hurts to reach out! And if you are dealing with any type of hair loss or condition, I promise you are not alone. 

Caroline Colgan

Villanova '24

Caroline is a junior at Villanova double majoring in art history and communications from Chicago, IL. She loves art, traveling, and working out. After college, she hopes to have a career in the art business field or in public relations.