A Case of the Munchies: Healthy Study Snacks to Keep You Going

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

Midterm week is now officially upon Villanova and as the nights at the library get longer, the healthiness of the snacks start to decrease. While cramming for your tests tends to include snacking on high carb foods like chips and cookies, research has shown that they may actually be slowing you down. So in order to increase brain function and raise energy levels, I’ve compiled a list of healthy foods and easy recipes any college student can incorporate into their diet.

Start your day off right with some high energy breakfast foods!

Start off with whole grain toast, which will help increase your mental focus. It’ll help you concentrate during whatever tests or study sessions you have going on that day. Next, add a layer of peanut butter which will give you a source of protein and vitamin E. These nutrients will help keep you full and energized through your morning classes! Finally, add fruit like strawberries, blueberries, or bananas on top in order to provide your brain with antioxidants to keep it functioning at its highest level. Blueberries are especially high in these antioxidants and have been called “super foods”. Another great variation of this high energy meal is oatmeal with fresh fruit and almonds.

If you can fit in a full lunch break, try to stick to lean protein and leafy greens. Lean meats like chicken or fish include protein and omega-3s, which increase brain function, and veggies like spinach and broccoli contain vitamin B, which helps improve memory. So together, these foods make for a super meal. This effect, however, can still be achieved if time won’t permit a full lunch. Celery sticks and baby carrots with hummus are a great option to stave off hunger pains and keep alert. The chickpeas in hummus contain a lot of protein which keeps you full and gives you energy. Also, the addition of garlic and lemon in most hummus dips gives you many antioxidants that help to reduce stress.

During a late night study session, it can be tempting to munch on candy bars and sip on sugary soda, but this can be detrimental. The high sugar content in these foods and drinks will give you an initial boost of energy but will quickly cause a crash. If you’re craving sugar, try to substitute candy for a protein bar. But make sure to check the ingredients to see that there are at least 15 grams of protein and relatively low sugar. If you’re really craving chocolate, it’s fine to indulge! Chocolate contains antioxidants that promote brain health, but try to stick to a small amount of dark chocolate in order to maximize antioxidants and avoid excess sugar.

Finally, the last piece of advice I can give is to drink lots of water! It is suggested that in order to stay properly hydrated, you should consume at least a liter of water for every two hours of studying. Another extra tip is to squeeze some orange or lemon into your water to relieve anxiety and improve mood and alertness.

In order to fully maximize your potential during this stressful week, avoid high carb foods and sugary drinks and substitute them for high protein foods and plenty of water. Happy studying!

Samantha Galasso is from Wilton, CT and is the founder of both the Providence College and Villanova University chapters at HC. In her spare time, she enjoys napping, sarcastic commentary, inappropriate jokes, hanging out with her fellow Pi Phi sisters, "Friends" marathons, and general activities being ”liked” by the mass majority of people on Facebook. Her goals in life include writing the next great American novel and making the Billionaire Obituary in Forbes.