This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

Many people have no idea that transferring to a new school will be in their future. I had no idea what I wanted in a college when I was applying. I walked around college campuses and admired their beauty instead of trying to imagine making a living there. Transferring is nerve-wracking, you have to do everything all over again without the nudging of a college counselor. It’s on you if the documents never make it. Besides that, here are the things I’ve learned along the way and how I’ve embraced the transfer label.

Transferring isn’t shunned 

I found that I was extremely private about my transfer process. I really didn’t tell many people that I had applied to schools until it was a definite I was going. I had this huge concern that I would be disowned by my friends because I didn’t love the school that I went to. I was blind to the fact that there are people who feel the same way yet might be afraid to admit it too. I just saw all the Instagrams and Snapstories and figured everyone loved everything about their school and never had a doubt about going somewhere else. I tell you this honestly, once I started talking about transferring, I found other people who felt the same way. I found other people who put in applications because they were uncertain about where their head would be by the end of the semester or year. People want the best for you and are understanding that it sometimes doesn’t always work out. Just remember, you aren’t ever alone.

There will be times that you will be overwhelmed 

The transfer process is stressful. Sending in all the applications and writing the supplements is a stressful time. Even when you get to the new school, there will be times when you’ll be overwhelmed with everything going on. There were days I was just so confused and felt so lost but I’m telling you it’s worth it. There’s no question that the few stressful days out of the year beat out the months of stressful days. Sometimes you just need to relax and remember it’s all going to work out.

Your credits might not transfer

Yes, it is stressful to hear that a credit or two didn’t transfer. At my former school, I spent my Tuesdays and Thursdays in an hour and a half geology lecture. Even better, the class included a lab that met for 5 hours on Wednesday afternoons. Yes, I said it. 5 hours. And guess what! It didn’t transfer. It’s really common for this to happen. Don’t stress, all transfers can come together on the basis that a credit didn’t transfer. Sometimes you can try to appeal the decision but most of the time you’re stuck getting no credit.

Saying “I’m a transfer student” is a great conversation starter

I’m sure some people’s biggest fear about transferring is meeting people. It’s sometimes awkward when people ask you what year you are and you reluctantly say sophomore since you know you’re really a freshman because not all your credits transferred. But really, when introducing yourself to people, just slyly mention you’re a transfer student and the conversation will never get awkward. People love asking questions about where you came from and why. 

Transfers stick together

I can proudly say that my closest friends at school this year are also transfers. Living with transfers and learning to do things together is really helpful. You’re on the same schedule and have the same concerns about what building is where. Seek out other transfer students and befriend them. 

You will be treated like you’re a freshman…

…and you’ll have to participate in orientation again! And don’t worry, you’ll have to participate in ice breakers again. The orientation week feels like freshman year all over again. but there is some really helpful stuff you can learn like where your classes are or what meal plan to get. Just be open minded. The week will be over in no time. But just remember, the faster you wish orientation away, the sooner that real classes will come.

You will be expected to know how to do the whole college thing

Even though it’s technically your first year at the new school, it’s back to the grind. It’s like summer wasn’t a thing. That means meet with your professors early and make sure they know you’re a transfer. Scout out the different places to eat and hangout. Make sure you know where the library is—hopefully you’ll be there at some point. Just remember at the end of the day, you’re just another student. You’re just a little different than the traditional student. You have more stories to tell about your experiences but it’s something to be proud of. Taking control of your life and making sure it’s just the way you like it is a truly admirable decision. 

Transferring is basically normal

More than one third of students transfer at some point in their college career. There’s nothing wrong with not liking the school you initially pick. You might have been like me and found yourself judging schools by how pretty the buildings were. Or maybe that’s what matters to you. Everyone needs different things out of their school and future alma mater. I found myself in a transfer class of about 80 students this year. Everyone had a different reason for transferring, whether they shared it or not. Just remember that you aren’t alone. Some things just don’t work out perfectly on the first try.