You Won’t Believe These Worst Dates Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

High and Bye!
By Maggie Carter

Unfortunately, I experienced one of the most awkward first dates ever. I met this guy through mutual friends at a party one night; not only was he charming, he was cute, and I also really liked how he dressed. We exchanged numbers and had a few good conversations over the phone — clicking instantly. As we got to know each other, we found that we had a lot in common; so at that point, I wondered what was the catch? He seemed to be too perfect. I found out later that there was a catch indeed.

After a few days,
he asked me to go to the movies. Of course I said yes! I was so excited. Finally, the night of our first date came around. I remember looking really cute just for him. He picked me up around 8 pm, and then we were off to the movies. 

While we were in his truck (which was really nice by the way), he said the movie didn’t start until 10 pm. So I asked him what we should do in the mean time. His reply was, “I have to go to 711 real quick.” I thought nothing of it. We arrived at 711 and he went inside to get a drink. When he got back in the truck, he didn’t start the truck; we were just sitting there. I was really confused why were just hanging out in the car so I finally asked him what the deal was. His reply was, “Oh, I’m meeting someone here.” After hearing that statement, I started freaking out inside. I started thinking of all the worst things possible. I started panicking and asked myself who is he meeting? Why right now? I’m about to be kidnapped. On the inside, I was contemplating my escape plan. However, on the outside, I was playing it cool.

At that point, we had literally been in the 711 parking lot for an hour. Surprisingly, we had a good conversion about music. Finally, some car pulled up to the side of ours. He gets out the truck and talks to the two men in the other car. They looked young, like us. All of a sudden my date pulls out a small bag of weed and gives it to the guys in the car. They immediately gave him a couple of twenty-dollar bills. My date was a drug dealer, and he chose the night of our first date to sell his merchandise! I was appalled.

After he got back in his truck, the situation became more awkward than it already was. We stayed in the parking lot even longer because he started to roll a his weed into a blunt. I was hoping that he wouldn’t smoke it, but you could guess that he most certainly did. By that point I just wanted to go home, but I didn’t have the guts to tell him that I wasn’t feeling it. He continued to smoke and drive to the theater. He offered me to take a “hit,” but I politely declined. On the inside I was just speechless that he was really smoking weed on our first date. Really, the first date though?

When we finally arrived at the movie theater, we watched the movie 2012. Correction– I watched the movie 2012. He was so high that he fell asleep and was snoring obnoxiously the whole time. I could have left the theater and he would’ve never known! About two hours later, the movie was over and I nudged his arm to wake him up. Still, obviously high, he walked back to the truck. He asked me to drive because he was so high that he wasn’t able to! I happily took the wheel; my life was on the line! He asked if I wanted to grab a bite to eat somewhere but I told him that I was tired and that I had to be up early the next day.

Finally, I arrived at my house. I eagerly got out of his truck. He got out of the passenger seat to get to the drivers side. I told him I had a great time (that was a big fat lie), and to be safe on the road. He said he had a great time too and that he wanted to hang out again soon. I told him that sounded like a good idea, even though it was a horrible idea.

I never hung out with him again after that night. We would text here and there, but nothing more than that. I’m sorry, but to make me sit in a 711 parking lot for an hour is not very romantic. The fact that he would get high on the first date was very unattractive. Although he made a terrible first impression, he will be in my memory forever as one of my worst dates ever.

[pagebreak]

Drop Him Like He’s Hot
By Lauren Colie

Most girls dream of the perfect date for the school dance. Unfortunately, not all of us have a fairy godmother to make this dream come true.

My senior year in high school, a friend of mine asked to take me to prom. He had graduated the year prior, but still texted me and finally admitted he had a crush. Of course, I said yes. 

I picked out the loveliest, most scandalous, satin-y, sparkly, figure-flattering lilac cocktail dress I could find. I had towering silver stilettos and plenty of confidence (a real surprise, to me). 

Since he was no longer a student, I had to have a couple of my teachers, him, and his boss sign a form to allow him to attend the dance. Our busy schedules made it difficult to accomplish this—he finally had to bring the form to me while I was at work so I could turn it in the next day.

I paid for both of our tickets (NOT cheap) because he didn’t have any cash to give me when he saw me. I didn’t think much of the fact—I’m happy to share costs with a guy, and figured he’d spring for dinner and everything would balance out. One of my best friends invited us to double date to a really expensive restaurant before the dance. We promised to meet them there—his car was in the shop, so I’d have to go pick him up.

The day of prom, I started getting ready. I had my hair tied up and sweatpants on as I painted my face up for the evening. Then I get a phone call.

My date
was calling to ask me when prom was what color my dress was so he could match. I could not believe he was asking me the color of my dress on the day of prom!  Oh, and he wanted to know if I would drive another guest because she wanted to go, but her boyfriend had dumped her—my date just wanted to know if it was okay for him to take both of us.

I almost threw my phone across the room.

I went and cried to my mom instead. Then, at her urging, texted a guy I’d talked to occasionally but never hung out with—he had a date but offered to spend after-prom with me. So, I finished getting dressed and drove to my dinner date—solo.

My friends made an adorable couple and my waitress asked me twice when my date was going to arrive. Needless to say, the expensive dinner I paid for did not taste very good.

Prom itself was fine—I got a number of compliments on my dress and danced with a few good friends. One of them actually walked away with my wallet and cell phone in his jacket pockets, but thankfully had the sense to call someone I was with to return them to me.

After-prom was alright. Some light drizzle ruined my hair, but, honestly, after the day I’d had, it didn’t seem important. I paid to get into after-prom at the door (add another charge to my ex-prom-date’s tab!) and met up with the guy I texted. We bowled, ate some pizza, and chatted. It was not the spectacular senior prom night I envisioned at all.

I ended up dating that guy for a while, but we parted ways after we realized we were brought together by a bad situation and not real feelings.

A warning to everyone: watch out for unreliable boys, especially when it’s about such an important event.

Lauren is a second-year student in VCU's Honors College. She is majoring in mass communications with a print journalism concentration and professional writing minor. She interns with The Metaphysical Circus as a copy editor. Lauren is also an undergraduate teaching assistant for a research writing course.With a passion for writing, editing and international issues, she hopes to one day write for a magazine that requires her to travel. She is also interested in a career in editing and publishing.In her free time, Lauren collects tea sets, talks to her garden gnome Chia pet, watches The Big Bang Theory and does Pilates. Her favorite herb is rosemary and her favorite color is chartreuse.