Life > Academics

Why You Should Be Taking Advantage Of VCU’s Writing Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

One great resource that VCU provides to its students is the Writing Center. Offering in person and online appointments, they support students in achieving stronger writing skills. They assist in the development of the writing process through brainstorming, collaboration, and feedback. English Language Resource appointments are also provided to students, which is an ongoing conversation regarding language acquisition and writing fluency. The Writing Center helps both undergraduate and graduate students, which is funded through their tuition. 

Apart from one-on-one appointments, the Writing Center offers an array of resources for the students at VCU. On their website, you can find a list of informational pages. These include a number of tutorials on how to write anything from a literature review to a personal statement. This page also gives you the rundown on how to use literary techniques such as argumentative writing and writing in the active voice. 

The Writing Center also provides workshops, offered in person and virtually. Under the events tab on their website, you can locate a calendar of upcoming workshops, including a personal statement session and a paraphrasing workshop. If you’re not interested in developing your writing skills, they offer recurring writing club and book club sessions! Students can also request workshops one month in advance, which requires at least ten student attendees. 

Lastly, the VCU Writing Center Blog is an online forum created by the Writing Center. They post blogs consisting of resources about VCU, research, life after college, writing tips and many more topics. This blog is run by both undergraduate and graduate student workers. 

Recently, I went to my first appointment with the Writing Center. Scheduling a consultation was easy and convenient. Upon arriving, I checked in and was assigned a worker to help with my work. They had me read my writing aloud, which helped in the revision process. I felt the feedback process was productive because we collaborated on what could be improved. I found this much more helpful than having someone read my work, write me feedback, and send me off. They were super patient and open to ideas throughout the process. I walked away feeling more confident about my work, with a clear idea on how to improve it moving forward.  

The Writing Center is a convenient tool for both undergraduate and graduate students. They offer assistance in any step of the writing process and for any writing-based project. They are located on the fourth floor of the Academic Learning Commons. This helpful resource is included in your tuition, so I encourage you to take advantage of what you’re paying for!

Abigale Darnell (she/her) is a student in Psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University with a minor in Creative Writing. She has an interest in holistic wellness, female empowerment, fashion and pop culture.