Why You Should Appreciate the Friend Who Makes Terrible Puns

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Almost every friend group is comprised of people whose personalities fit a very specific set of superlatives. Typically, there is a “mom” who takes care of the group, a “baby” who needs to be taken care of, the funny friend, the fashionable friend, the problematic friend- the list goes on. However, sometimes there is one very special member of a friend group who does not really fit into a traditional role because they embody multiple, as if all of them got together and had a weird, yet lovable, love child. This member of the friend group, bless them, is the friend who consistently makes terrible puns.

Everyone knows one. You might even be that person yourself. If so, don’t fret, because you deserve to be congratulated. Although people might not always act like they appreciate the numerous quirks of the punny friend, puns, no matter how dumb they may seem, are about as close to pure magic that a human being could ever dream of producing. A well-executed and clever pun is an amazing thing. Think about it; a person’s ability to combine their quick wit and knowledge with eloquence in timing and delivery is no small feat. Not only that, but because a lot of puns have to do with subjects like pop culture, history or literature, it is safe to assume that the punny friend is rather savvy on many topics.

Although an overuse of puns might annoy some people, the punny friend is, without a doubt, essential in developing a positive atmosphere within a friend group. Humor, despite how trivial certain forms might seem, can do an insane amount of good for the human psyche. The punny friend, therefore, is like a social superman. 

Imagine having one of those days where absolutely nothing goes right. Then, imagine encountering your punny friend, who proceeds to ask you how you are feeling. “I’m exhausted!” you reply. Without missing a beat, your friend (in particular “dad joke” fashion), quips, “Hi exhausted, I’m punny friend!” Hopefully, after a few eye rolls and perhaps a scoff or two, such a horrible pun brightens the mood. However, if it does not, it is always best to follow up with a quick “Sorry you’re not feeling great, what’s wrong? What can I do to help?” (It should probably be said anyway!) Regardless of how the pun is received, though, it serves as a distraction for any bad day blues a person might have.

So, appreciate the poor souls who make bad puns. As annoying or out of place as their comedic mishaps might seem, the people themselves do, ultimately, only want to spread good vibes and bring a smile to the faces of their friends. Who knows, puns might just be what keeps them optimistic on their darkest days. So, throw them a bone once in a while! Life can be ruff! (Pun intended.)

Emily Gerber is a Creative Advertising and English double major at Virginia Commonwealth University. She likes to refer to herself as “Tom Hanks’ adopted daughter,” and is a self-proclaimed succulent mom who takes care of the numerous small cacti living on the windowsill in her apartment. Emily appreciates people who *attempt* to beat her at Disney trivia and wants to dedicate all of her articles to her dog, Daisy.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!