Why Women Need to Support Other Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

We live in a world where women will always somehow be socially oppressed. We’ve come a long way from a time where women could not vote or were not in the workforce. We’ve come a long way from being just your stereotypical 1950’s housewife to having a woman almost become president of the United States. We, being women, have and always will have to endure something — so why go against each other?

I have always had a strong idea of the woman I wanted to be based around my household and family life. I grew up in a household where it was my mom, older sister, father and myself. In addition to that, I’m close to all of the extended women in my family – especially both of my grandmothers. With the foundation of my household and extended family, I’ve always seen such a balance of power, respecting both the female and male figures and looking up to them equally, simply as the people they are which I find super important to me. I never had to grow up with an underlying idea of the appropriate “gender role” and have witnessed nothing but both the women and men in my family supporting each other and their successes.

Nowadays it is such a sad and common thing to hear women constantly say things such as, “I promise, I’m much different than other girls” or “I can’t stand girls, this is why I only hang out with guys”. I’ve always grown up having a good amount of guy friends because they do have a natural laid back personality that’s nice to be around sometimes but don’t get me wrong, I’ve always had my tight group of girls to get me through. As I’ve grown up, I’ve always tried to steer clear from the unnecessary drama of both guys and girls, because the drama stigma doesn’t pertain to girls only. It’s not hard to do — become friends with the right people that will support you in all that you do. Being women, there are things that only we can understand about each other, so it’s important you find those that seek the best for not only you but for themselves as well. There are things in life we go through that I always think “If I did not have this girl in my life what would I do?”.

I believe that 2017 was a year for us women. We’ve endured so much politically and socially, and I’ve been inspired to not only take that into who I want to be but also to the people I encounter. Coming into this year, going through a breakup along with other additional stresses, the emotions I was going through I could not thank my friends whom I consider sisters to get me through. Women are special. We are so strong, and I find it so important that we recognize that and band together. We are so much more than just a pretty face that anyone can simply see and that thought was enhanced when I read this page of words that will stick with me from the poetry book “Milk & Honey”:

“I want to apologize to all the women I have called pretty before I’ve called them intelligent or brave. I am sorry I made it sound as though something as simple as what you’re born with is the most you have to be proud of when your spirit has crushed mountains. From now on I will say things like you are resilient or you are extraordinary not because I don’t think you’re pretty but because you are so much more than that”.

Start the new year off strong, make the rest of this year a year for you and your girls. Spread the idea of self-love and radiate positivity. 

Photo taken by Paul Drake

Cover Photo taken by author

Aja is a Junior at VCU studying Political Science. She loves going to brunch, working out, healthy eating and is overly obessed with the Kardashians & her three dogs (Cooper, Bentley and Lulu). You can follow her on Instagram @ajaerinmo!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!