Why White People Can’t be Mad About Formation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

In the 1960’s, artists such as Bob Dylan and Janis Joplin made music pertaining to America’s involvement in the Vietnam War in order to educate and promote activism among American youth. Madonna, Elton John and David Bowie all did the same thing in supporting the LGBT movement. As for the women’s movement, powerful women such as Aretha Franklin and Carole King were right at the forefront. All of these artists were praised for their efforts and we still thank them today for their help in making such immense progress.

Fast forward a few decades to February 7, 2016 when one of the most influential women, if not the most influential woman, in the music industry today emerged at the Super Bowl 50 halftime show and debuted her new song Formation. The song promotes black pride, empowerment, and discusses the struggles which the Black Lives Matter Movement fights to end.

The difference however between Beyoncé and the artists mentioned above is that she was antagonized and met with intense criticism. The irony is that the vast majority of this criticism was stemming from none other than—white people.

People were quick to take to Twitter and Facebook to vocalize their opposition to Beyoncé and her message saying it was a complete bashing of the police force, racist in itself, and even argued that the Black Panther inspired attire is equally as offensive as if white people emerged in KKK inspired outfits.

To compare the KKK to the Black Panther Party is completely nonsensical. The KKK killed innocent people in an attempt to completely whitewash the nation. They believed in violence and intimidation against anyone who opposed them. The Black Panther Party armed themselves against those who were attacking them and believed in defending themselves when necessary. The image of the Black Panther Party that we often see is one of intimidation and brutality and we often oversee the positive efforts their movement made, including free lunch for children. It’s also worth pointing out that regardless of any Black Panther undertones, her outfit was a tribute to the late Michael Jackson.

Tomi Lahren, a conservative television host, was one of the many people to call out Beyoncé for her performance. She first argues that this performance was just another ploy to promote the idea that “black lives matter more.” Let’s take a second to dissect that claim.

The Black Lives Matter Movement is an effort to end discrimination towards the black community in a society that is still white dominant, an idea that white people tend to pretend isn’t true. The movement in no way is saying that black lives matter more than those of any other race. It is however saying that black lives are the lives we currently need to be talking about. What disadvantages are white people experiencing just for the mere fact that they are white? Why would white people need a movement in American society? Inequality and discrimination are still prominent in society and the ability for people with a strong influence to bring attention to this issue is what will aid in the movement’s efforts.

Formation does call out police brutality; however, Beyoncé is not criticizing the entirety of the police force. Discrimination against black people and the law is undeniable. We’ve seen it too many times on the headlines of too many articles. A lesson to keep in mind here is that you can’t judge an entire group based on the actions of a few of its members. She is aware of this, and nowhere in Beyonce’s song does she promote backlash against the police force. She’s bringing to attention one of the injustices against black lives in a song that is made for the Black Lives Matter Movement.

Tomi Lahren also points out that Beyoncé has white fans along with black fans. Yes, thank you Tomi for this ground breaking realization. Perhaps Beyoncé had the intention of white people listening to this song, hearing the pleas of black lives, and making an effort to help the movement.

No one is telling white people that they can’t listen to the song because they’re white. No one is telling white people that they can’t appreciate the song for what it is because they’re white. What people are telling white people is that this song is not for them. It is not for white people to criticize and even understand fully. It is a call for attention and a call for activism.

I am white, and if there’s one thing I’ve learned from being white in American society it’s that you help those who don’t have the same privileges as you for unjust reasons. We are living in a very important time and we are part of a generation that is just as capable of change as those of the past. Beyoncé did not debut this song in an effort to “play the victim” or to “keep ripping off the historical band-aid.” She debuted this song on such a large scale in an effort to call attention to a movement that is in its most pivotal stage.

White people can’t be mad about Formation. White people can’t be mad about a song intended to help a group of people that have experienced a level of discrimination that we will never have to. Try to understand Beyoncé’s message and understand that you have an opportunity to assist those who are not as well off as you. Do not antagonize a woman who is using her platform in society to aid in a movement that she is passionate about and has an opportunity to take to the next level.

Katie is a freshman at VCU studying mass communications with a concentration in journalism. She loves attending concerts, James Franco's instagram selfies, quoting Will Ferrell movies, and her two dogs Laila and Frazier. You can follow her on twitter and instagram @katiebashista. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!