freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why I’m Not Going to Settle for a Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I’m going to be honest. I’ve never been in a serious relationship. I’m just a naturally shy and extremely picky person. so it just hasn’t happened to me yet. Due to this, I’ve seen a lot of my friends get involved with different guys, and I seem to always be the one to give relationship advice. Whenever I watch my friends deal with boys who don’t respect them it drives me insane. I just can’t bring myself to settle for a guy who isn’t going to respect me.

Let’s face it, I’m pretty sure that there aren’t many guys in college who are looking for a long-term relationship right now. Everyone is just trying to be young and crazy. I’m not saying that all guys need to settle down right now and get into long-term relationships, but I don’t believe they should be using girls the way they do. I’ve seen too many instances where guys will just use girls for their body, and I refuse to deal with that. Honestly, sometimes I feel like I’m a bit prude-ish, and I should just go through a crazy phase and let guys do whatever they want to me. That’s not who I am though. I can’t bring myself to let a boy take advantage of me. I want to be respected. I don’t want to go to some frat party and hook up with some random dude. I want to just casually meet someone and get to know them and eventually date.

I think watching my friends deal with all kinds of different situations with boys has made me more adamant to date than I should be. I’ve definitely had my guard up towards boys my entire life because I have an extreme fear of being hurt because I’m an extremely sensitive person. I’m not sure if it’s a good or a bad thing that I hold myself off to getting to know different guys, but I truly cannot see myself settling for someone who doesn’t sweep me off my feet. Call me old fashioned, but I can’t get into this time period of “talking.” I don’t get how you can go months talking to the same guy yet not admitting that you’re actually dating. I wish we could go back to the times when a guy would ask you on a date and you would get to know each other before anything serious happened.

I grew up with a good amount of strong relationships around me. My parents have been married for 30 years, my sister married her high school boyfriend, etc. I’ve also grown up seeing some very unstable relationships, and I know that’s not what I want to deal with in my life. I may sound corny, but I want to be with one guy for the rest of my life. Maybe it’s not normal for me to be so picky towards guys, but I know one day it’ll all work out for me. I’d rather spend the rest of my life single than spending the rest of my life with a man who I’m not completely in love with and doesn’t respect me. 

photo credit: Cover, 1

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!