Why I Don’t Keep Up With the Kardashians

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Too often do I log onto Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and see yet another article or picture about the Kardashian/Jenner clan. While I understand and respect the empire Ms. Kardashian has built, and have nothing but the utmost respect for Caitlyn Jenner, I want to stop hearing about the Kardashians. No, I don’t care what scandalous outfit Kim wore to that music event; no, I do not want to see pictures of the Ferrari Tyga bought Kylie; and no, I do not want to read yet ANOTHER article dissecting the relationship between Lamar Odom and Khloe. 

It was especially disheartening to see the Kardashians in headlines recently amidst the Paris attacks. On the “trending” tab on Facebook two days after the Paris attacks, the #1 trending subject was—you guessed it—about the Kardashians. Last weekend, in the middle of the hotly debated topic of the Syrian refugee crisis, the #1 trending topic was about the alleged breakup between Tyga and Kylie Jenner. Honestly, this made me angrier than Donald Trump’s remarks about the relationship between ISIS and all Muslim people, and that’s saying something.

Not only do I find them crude and annoying, but they are setting HORRIBLE examples for those who watch and look up to them, which constitutes a good number of young Americans. For example: the reason Kim became famous was, ultimately, because of a leaked sex tape she made with Ray J. What this tells to young, impressionable girls is that they have to literally sleep their way to the top if they want to succeed. The fact that I know that off the top of my head tells us how deeply ingrained this family is in American culture—and if they define our culture, we need to redefine it. Desperately. 

Sure, I’ll admit to having been through Kylie Jenner’s Instagram and reading Caitlyn’s story cover to cover. They are an entertaining bunch, no matter how you look at it. What I won’t admit to is caring about anything their family does, and cannot for the life of me understand why my peers immerse themselves in the life of a famous family 2,000 miles away. Ask any of my friends or classmates if they know a single fact about the Kardashian/Jenner clan, and the answer will almost always be yes. 

The reason I don’t give a hoot about this family is because I believe there are so many other, more important things to focus on besides what designer Kendall wore. Not to mention I am SO tired of seeing their name flashed at me at all hours of the day—an ad for KUWTK in the morning, a new post from Kylie in the afternoon and a new, shocking twist in Kourtney’s love story at night. It’s enough to make a girl want to throw her phone far, far away and return to a much simpler time, before “lip fillers” and blue hair were a thing (thanks, Kylie). 

I would much rather see more information and more energy devoted towards people who make me believe this world is a better place. If the press focused on Malala as much as they do Kylie; if the posts shared on my news feed were about the Syrian refugee crisis instead of Lamar and Khloe’s divorce; if my Instagram feed was comprised of solutions to heal Syria, Beruit and Paris instead of Kendall’s selfies—this would engage me. This would make me want to contribute to the conversation and make me, not to mention my peers, more informed citizens.

Yes, I accept that the above scenarios won’t happen in the full force I want. But if we, as people, focused on the news and the world around us a much as we focused on E!, we could make this attainable. 

So until that happens, Kardashians, I accept that you rule pop culture. I don’t like it, but I do look forward to the day when you fade from the spotlight. It’s nothing personal, but I just really, really don’t care about you. 

Emily is a part-time coffee addict and a full-time English and Public Relations student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys all things punny, intersectional feminism, Chrissy Teigen's tweets and considers herself a bagel & schmear connoisseur. You can probably find her either listening to the Hamilton soundtrack or binge watching The Office for the thousandth time
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!