This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

A wise woman, Cheris Kramarae, once described feminism as “the radical notion that women are people.” I want you to pay close attention to the last three words in the previous sentence. Say them to yourself. Repeat them. Women are people. Why is this something that needs to be said? Why is this a “radical notion?”

I identify as nothing less than an intersectional feminist. I would never undermine the struggles that I face simply because I am a woman. I would never try to justify slut-shaming, unequal pay or unfair rights to abortion and birth control. I became an advocate when I realized that we too deserve these things. We too deserve basic rights. We too are people.

We literally need feminism and the fact that we do is what’s stupid. The fact that we have to tell people that it is okay for us to wear what we want and not be sexually harassed is what’s stupid. The fact that we are only “allowed” one week out of the month to have a bad attitude is what’s stupid. The fact that we have to beg for cheaper menstruation products is what’s stupid.

Why is it that it is the year 2016 and yet still, men will never face the hardships that a woman has to face on a daily basis? Why is that men can walk around freely without a shirt on and will never be questioned about it? Why is it that a man could acquire the same job as a woman and still be paid a higher salary? Why is it that a man can have as much sex as he wants and suddenly, he’s not to be judged?

However, I’m not here to speak on the obvious double standard that exists between men and women. I’m here to say that feminism is women’s rights based on political, social, and economic equality to men and that scares people. We’ve lived in a society that hasn’t allowed us our rights to basic gender equality for centuries and yes, it’s still stupid.

Feminism is completely necessary and I am hopeful that one day, it won’t be. I am hopeful that one day, women will be seen as people, just like men are. I am hopeful that one day, we will live in a world that doesn’t need feminism because everyone will understand the radical notion that women are people.

Erica Dabney is a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University. Some of her favorite activities include discovering new music, tearing down the patriarchy and dining out at black-owned restaurants in Richmond. She plans to graduate with her bachelors in journalism in 2019.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!