Which Taylor Swift Albums Do These New “Midnights” Tracks Belong On?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Taylor Swift is topping the charts with her new sensational record, “Midnights.” If there is one thing Swift does best, it’s pop music, and this new album is pumped full of pop gold. The records that construct Swift’s discography each have a different vibe and different stories that are told with unique sounds. While Midnights harbors its own unique sound, there are multiple tracks that could seamlessly blend into her other albums.

1. “question…?”

First up we have the seventh track on “Midnights,” “Question…?” From the catchy synth beats to the painful yet perfectly unbothered love story told with a witty tone, this song is practically begging for a place on Swift’s fifth studio album, “1989.” Personally, I find this pop anthem to be the love child of “I Wish You Would” and “All You Had To Do Was Stay” (both catchy “1989” tracks). It encompasses a youthful persona while being equipped with an edge of mature spite, which fits “1989” flawlessly.

2. “you’re on your own kid”

As the classic heart-wrenching track five, “You’re On Your Own Kid” is a beautifully produced song with little to no extra-flashy components. Swift’s booming vocals in this song shine and showcase the pain of waiting for unrequited love to be returned and dealing with the self-reflection that comes with it. From the message to the sound, I believe this track could easily earn a spot on “Red (Taylor’s Version),” specifically as a track from the vault. Lonely, warm fall vibes to a T, this song gives me the same feeling as “Forever Winter” and “Nothing New,” both melancholy tracks from the second re-recorded album in Swift’s discography.

3. “The great war”

Being one of the deluxe “Midnights (3am)” tracks, “The Great War” gives off nothing but “evermore” vibes. It is speculated this track is in reference to the beginning of Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn’s relationship in 2016, amidst the public blasphemy she was facing, comparing it to surviving the Great War. With the extravagant metaphors and the distressing story being told, this track is easily comparable to two bonus tracks off of “evermore,” “it’s time to go” and “right where you left me.”

4. “sweet nothing”

From the wooing background vocals to the lullaby-like sound yet painful lyrics, it’s almost a crime “Sweet Nothing” was not featured on “folklore,” Swift’s eighth studio album. It’s the perfect blend of vocals with isolated piano in the background. I find it very similar to “folklores'” final track, “hoax.” Whether you need calming music or need to experience a good cry, “Sweet Nothing” can deliver both, which earns it an imaginary spot on the sonically perfect album, “folklore.”

5. “Lavender Haze”

Last but definitely not least, “Midnights'” opening track “Lavender Haze” gave us a grand entrance to the new era. “Lavender Haze” has an uncanny resemblance to the sixth track on Swift’s seventh studio album “Lover,” “I Think He Knows.” With the electro-pop beat and catchy chorus, it fits the immaculate vibe of “Lover” seamlessly.

Summer Deciucis is a Journalism and Fashion Merchandising student at Virginia Commonwealth University, and an HCVCU editorial member. She has interests in pop culture, current social issues, fashion, and true crime.