This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

March is Women’s History Month. The Library of Congress, National Archives and Records Administration, National Endowment for the Humanities, National Gallery of Art, National Park Service, Smithsonian Institution and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum join in commemorating and encouraging the study, observance and celebration of the vital role of women in American history.

The month of March is dedicated to Women’s History, but what does that really signify? 

In doing some reflection for this article I concluded that the answer is subjective. Every individual perceives Women’s History Month to mean something unique to them. Instead of sharing only my personal thoughts and experiences on Women’s History Month, I decided to take the approach of “what Women’s History Month means to women.” I surveyed a few women with whom I’m close and those I share some connection with in one way or another. 

I hope these responses spark deeper conversations and thoughts into what Women’s History Month means to you, as it did me. 

Maggie, 19

What does Women’s History Month mean to you? Women’s history month means recognizing the women who made historical changes in politics and fight for women’s rights so that I’m allowed the privileges I have.

Who are the women that inspire you, and why? A woman that inspires me is Marielle Greguski, a social media influencer who works to highlight body-positive thinking in a way that’s completely accessible and intersectional.

Women’s history quote that inspires you, why? “Don’t compromise yourself, you’re all you’ve got”- Janis Joplin.

Advice? What do you want other women to know? Change is intimidating, but always starts small and little protests can add up to a lot.

Maddie, 21

What does Women’s History Month mean to you? It means getting to celebrate the beauty and complexity of women and the multitude of things that they are capable of.

Who are the women that inspire you, and why? My mom, she’s one of my best friends. She is there to listen and knows when to give me advice. I FaceTime her every day and it’s the best part of my day. My best friend, because she inspires me every day. She is so focused and dedicated to everything she does and I know that she will always be there for me. She is my other half.

Women’s history quote that inspires you, why? “There is nothing that we as women cannot do.” I love this quote because it encapsulates everything that Women’s History Month is. Women are always seen as less than men and I have always believed that that is absolutely false. Women are amazing.

Advice? What do you want other women to know? You are important and you are strong. You can do anything that you put your mind to and never let anyone else tell you differently.

Lilly, 16

What does Women’s History Month mean to you? To me, Women’s History Month is about the history of women’s accomplishments.

Who are the women that inspire you, and why? My mom inspires me because she’s the role model that I someday want to be. She has taught me everything that I know today and I wouldn’t have been able to do anything without her.

Women’s history quote that inspires you, why? A quote that inspires me is “if you don’t see a clear path for what you want, sometimes you have to make it yourself” by Mindy Kaling.

Advice? What do you want other women to know? I want other women to know that they can accomplish anything that they can dream and they shouldn’t quit, ever.

Nancy, 76

What does Women’s History Month mean to you? Celebrate contributions women have made in history.

Who are the women that inspire you, and why? Eleanor Roosevelt. because she was unafraid to want fairness in our society. My mother. who left the house and ventured into the workplace. My daughters. who inspire me every day.

Women’s history quote that inspires you, why? “We have to bring these young people into active life in the community” by Eleanor Roosevelt.

Advice? What do you want other women to know? Follow your dreams.

Karen, 73

What does Women’s History Month mean to you? It is a chance to honor women who might not otherwise be recognized. There are so many women through the ages who have helped to make this country great.

Who are the women that inspire you, and why? There are so many, from Rosa Parks, Eleanor Roosevelt, Michelle Obama and Mother Teresa. These women stood up for what they believed in and showed amazing courage in what they accomplished.

Women’s history quote that inspires you, why? “We feel that what we do is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.” It inspires me because we should never feel that what we do is insignificant. Even small things and small steps can help to change the world.

Advice? What do you want other women to know? Women need to believe in themselves and follow their dreams. They don’t need to be what others want them to be, they need to be what they want to be.

Madelyn, 22

What does Women’s History Month mean to you? It’s a way to highlight the achievements of women throughout history. It’s a way to inspire women to keep pushing for equality and set their own goals.

Who are the women that inspire you, and why? Katherine Johnson, the first Black woman to work for NASA. She was bold and the smartest person in the room. She proved herself and was a critical part of America getting to the moon. Peggy Whitson, a female astronaut who spent 655 days on the ISS, more than any American, making her the most experienced astronaut. She reminds me that I can do hard things. Loretta Perfectus Walsh, the first woman in the Navy. She reminds me that someone has to be the first and it doesn’t matter who it is. Christa McAuliffe, an American teacher who was killed during the Challenger shuttle explosion. She was amazing. She was the first civilian selected to go to space. Everything about her and her mission was inspiring. She makes me want to do good in her honor.

Women’s history quote that inspires you, why? “You must never be fearful about what you are doing when it is right” by Rosa Parks.

Advice? What do you want other women to know? Never not do something just because you’re a woman. The statistics in male-dominated fields are slowly equalizing. Do whatever you want to. The only thing holding you back is yourself. We are capable of much more than we think.

“The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.”

Coco Chanel

I think it is imperative when reflecting on Women’s History Month to make an effort to acknowledge the women who differ from you and their accomplishments towards creating equality. Celebrate women of all different races, ethnicities, minority groups, socioeconomic statuses, religious identities, occupations, etc.; not just the women who were taught to you in school. Women’s history is meant to celebrate the accomplishments of ALL women.

I leave you with one question: What does Women’s History Month mean to you?

Knowledge and understanding are power: If you are interested in attending virtual events, exploring online exhibits and national archives, or just want to expand your literacy, I encourage you to check out the Women’s History Month website hosted by The Library of Congress.

Katherine is a dual major in Health Sciences and Psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University, with hopes to pursue medical school in the future. In the meantime, she enjoys the unparalleled opportunity that is sharing perspective. When not studying or writing, you can find her outdoors, listening to music, traveling, or rereading the Twilight Saga.