What to Read and Watch this Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

We’re all still winding down from spring break and the first week back is never fun…thankfully the weekend is here! Time to relax and maybe even have a lazy day to read a good book or watch your favorite shows. If you’re looking for something light-hearted and funny or something to make you think, we got you covered, on screen and off.

What to watch if…

1. …you want to catch up.

House of Cards (Netflix exclusive series)

This political thriller is only available on Netflix. Starring Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood, a democratic congressman in Washington D.C. who will lie, cheat, manipulate and steal to gain higher power, with eyes on the presidency. This is one of Netflix’s most popular series, and they just added a season, so spring break is the perfect time to catch up!

2. …you want to learn something new.

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

This documentary series, narrated by Neil deGrasse Tyson, takes the viewer on a voyage through the universe on a quest for knowledge. The ideas are expressed clearly with a combination of factual information, storytelling and beautiful visuals. If you like documentaries and want to learn more in an easy to follow and satisfying manner, this docuseries is for you! [Note: Cosmos is on Netflix and FOX]

3. …you want to laugh.

Written by 30 Rock’s hilarious Tina Fey and starring Ellie Kemper and Jenna Krakowski comes the hilarious comedy-cocktail that is Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Kimmy, who has lived underground in a doomsday cult for years, escapes out to The Big Apple and discovers there’s a whole big world out there that wasn’t destroyed by the apocalypse after all. The entire series was released on Netflix on March 6, 2015, but it is also rumored to air on NBC later this season.

What to read if…

1. …you like non-fiction.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susain Cain

This book touches on the growing demand for extroverts, people pleasers and salesman-like personalities in Western Culture. Cain writes about the different psychological needs for introverts and extroverts, and calls for a change in our American work environments, while noting that some of our greatest masterminds were introverts. Barnes & Noble rates this book 4.5/5 stars, and you can get it here.

2. …you want to laugh.

Dirty Rush by Taylor Bell

Dirty Rush is a hilarious, uncensored look into the glamorously messy life of Taylor Bell, who comes into university from a charmed life with a long line of sorority sisters behind her. After a crazy, cute and outrageous rush process and lots of drugs and drama, Taylor must keep her reputation in Beta Zeta by doing whatever it takes to party hard, stay cool and keep everything she worked for together. Barnes and Noble rates this book 3.7/5 stars, and you can get it here.

3. …you watch Parks and Recreation.

Yes Please by Amy Poehler

With all the honesty, quirkiness and compassion that we know Leslie Knope to have, comes Yes Please, a memoir by Poehler. As Amy navigates through success, failure, love, heartbreak, improv, friendship and comedy writing, you get to know the actress, writer and New York Time’s Best Seller. This smart and heartwarming autobiography features lots of personal stories in her success, with all the wit and humor we saw in Parks and Rec and Saturday Night Live. Barnes & Noble rates this book 4.5/5 stars, and you can get it here.

Katie is a 21 year old Psychology major at Virginia Commonwealth University. Her legal name is Katherine, but only her mother can call her that when she's in trouble. She loves coffee, lipstick, science, leggings, and people who properly cite their sources.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!