Back To School Fashion Hub R1 Hero 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Back To School Fashion Hub R1 Hero 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
Style

What It Takes to Become a Creative Director: Q&A with Yedidya Mesfin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Growing up, one of my favorite interests was anything fashion. From designing in drawing books to even deciding to major in fashion merchandising, I always loved the idea of working in the industry. As time went on, I eventually changed my major but continued to have friends whose dreams were based on entering the fashion world. Through social media platforms such as Instagram and Youtube, breaking into the fashion industry has increasingly seemed easier and easier, but the truth of how hard working in this fast-paced environment is rarely told.

This past week, I interviewed Yedidya Mesfin, who has worked for BlankNYC for over a decade. She describes her journey to reaching her current job and offers advice for anyone wanting to break into the industry.  If you’re a fashion major looking for tips or just interested in the fashion environment, Yedidya has tips for you.

Woman posing in fashionable dress
Yedidya Mesfin

Merry: What is your current position in BlankNYC?

Yedidya: I am currently the creative director at BlankNYC. Being a creative director, I focus on a lot of management and creating big picture concepts for each season. The job requires years of experience and comes with a lot of responsibility as I help set the tone for each season at BlankNYC. 

Merry: When did you first start working in the fashion industry after college? 

Yedidya: I first started working in the fashion industry in 2005 after graduating Parsons at Dollhouse, which was a female-focused denim company. Before this, I was also a sales associate in a clothing store to help support myself and pay for school. 

Merry: How did you find BlankNYC? How did you know it was the right place for you? 

Yedidya: Actually, BlankNYC came looking for me while I was working at another company. I knew that BlankNYC was the right place for me because I liked the aesthetic of the brand and how it is relatable to young contemporary customers. 

Merry: What challenges did you face working in the fashion industry that you weren’t previously aware of?

Yedidya: I didn’t really know how to be creative every day– that aspect was really new to me. Being a designer, you have to learn to solve problems creatively, which is a skill you have to work hard to develop and sharpen to eventually excel at your job. Learning how to be creative every day was something I had to learn at Parsons due to the high paced environment that was the school and ended up serving me very well.

Merry: What challenges did you face in scaling up in a company?

Yedidya: I would say that managing the growing workload long term and delegating tasks without overwhelming my coworkers has been a learning process. The only way to learn this is through experience and trial and error. For me, I spent over a decade developing my talent as a designer and learning how the industry operated from different perspectives. The experience I had was crucial to me being able to balance becoming a creative director. 

Merry: When did you feel that you had “made it” as a designer? 

Yedidya: I still have a lot to learn, so I don’t really feel like I “made it.” I am content with where I am, but I am always trying to challenge myself to get to the next new, exciting level. 

Merry: What advice do you have for women in the fashion industry?  

Yedidya: I think I’d tell them to have a vision of what you want to achieve but keep an open mind to the different paths you can take to get there and always be willing to learn new things. Your personality and authenticity may set you apart, but your character and good work ethic is what will sustain you in the future. 

Merry: Where can people find you and/or your designs? 

Yedidya: Our website is www.blanknyc.com, and you can find many of our designs at Nordstrom, Urban Outfitters and Free People. Our Instagram is also @BlankNYC!  

Merry is a third-year political science & economics double major at Boston University. She is a former fashion merchandising major and hopes to work in editorial fashion, PR, or social media post-graduation while also focusing on the journalistic aspects of both her majors. She currently contributes to a number of publications while simultaneously working as an editor at Her Campus BU. Merry was also previously the managing editor of Her Campus at VCU and worked as an editorial intern for Her Campus Media. Contact her at mariamgnebiyu@gmail.com & @merry.nebiyu on Instagram.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!