Weekly: Passport to… Vietnam!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

This week I got the chance to speak with Shannon Ngo. She is a freshman majoring in pre-health biology and hope to someday become a anesthesiologist or a dermatologist. Shannon shared some experiences and also personal wishes for her country of Vietnam with me.

• Name:

Shannon Ngo

• Major:

Pre-Health Biology

• Nationality:

Vietnamese

• Name something you can find/do in Vietnam that you can’t do here.

I have not been to Vietnam in while, but what I enjoy doing there is waterfall jumping. It is a great experience, you can do that here in America, but in Vietnam the waterfalls are much more “grand”.

• What is the most remarkable things about your culture?

Well, I think people in America kind of lose track of who they are and what family is, but in Vietnam everyone is very close and very family orientated. They have a stronger bonds and relationships with members of their family.

• If you could describe Vietnam in one word, what would it be? Why?

Unique! Because Asians are always considered as a whole, but they really aren’t. You can compare differences between Chinese and Vietnamese culture but Vietnam has its own culture.

• If someone was to travel to Vietnam where is the first place that he/she should visit? And why ?

The mainland, where the farms are. It is a real experience, and very different from the city. In the city you find a lot of communism taking place, but at the mainland it is so peaceful.

• What is your favorite memory of Vietnam?

The waterfalls and the exotic food.

If you could give back to Vietnam what would you do?

I would provide more organizations and charities. Vietnam is developing and increasingly growing past all the poverty. I would just provide more help for the country.

What is your wish for Vietnam?       

I hope it grows and is able to out shine a lot of Asian countries. I want people to see Vietnam for the country in itself and not just another country in Asia.

Mymy Dinh is a graduate of Virginia Commonwealth University, pursuing a career in pharmacy. Born on January 20, 1992, she is the second oldest out of 5 children. She is also majoring in science with a double minor in chemistry and biology. She enjoys volunteer work, being around her family, organizing desks and rooms, shopping, meeting new people, and traveling.