Tips for the Perfect Holiday Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

In my past time, I enjoy nothing more than to make playlists. Music makes everything you do better, and what better way to relax my brain than to categorize and organize some music! Because of this puzzle of a task, I have curated a playlist for homework, working out, relaxation, throwbacks, walking around campus – you name it! My favorite playlist to update and edit year after year is for the holidays! It is officially the holiday season – and with that being said here my top picks on the classics, new holiday tunes, as well as music that just gets me in a good mood all in one playlist for your season!  These recommendations would be good to consider for your playlist and once it’s done, let it blare through your household from now until well, whenever you get tired of it.

1. Mariah Carey classics. DUH, how do you start the holiday season without blasting “All I Want for Christmas”? Her iconic original Christmas album as well as her sequel that followed the original just a few short years ago are both necessities. Mariah never will go out of holiday style.
  2. Michael Bublé. Again, a staple. His soothing, sultry voice singing renditions of holiday classics is something you can easily play in the background as you walk around your room, wrap some presents up, or simply just cuddling up and relaxing.
  3. New Tyler, The Creator. I am a huge Tyler fan as well as a huge Grinch fan. What better combo than Tyler’s rendition of the classic theme song, his involvement on The Grinch overall, as well as a follow up album in the movies honor. He put a nice modern twist on some new holiday classics that I definitely recommend adding to a playlist of your own! Also, while you listen, go watch the new version of “Dr. Seuss’: The Grinch.” The perfect movie to see and feel like a kid again.
  4. Destiny’s Child. The iconic trio came out with this Christmas album years ago and I still bump it like it’s brand new. Who doesn’t love a holiday throwback edition of our favorite girl, Beyoncé? If you’re wondering what my favorite song is, it would easily be “8 Days of Christmas” – you won’t regret this listen.
  5. “Santa Baby” – the original! Eartha Kitt knew exactly what she was doing with this 1950’s classic. This has to be my all time favorite Christmas song and as a holiday season staple, keep this original version around on your playlists forever please.
  6. Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra. Some more 50’s classics for your playlist. These two artists have such great renditions of holiday classics that you must keep around!
  7. Two words: John. Legend. I love absolutely everything about John Legend and this year he dropped a Christmas album unexpectedly. His Instagram is flooded with concert pictures as well as pictures featuring his cute kids on tour so right now, he’s winning.

Photo taken by Aja Moore. 

These are just a few of my holiday favorites this time around! If you’re interested in my exact playlist, follow me on apple music at @ajaerin.

Aja is a Junior at VCU studying Political Science. She loves going to brunch, working out, healthy eating and is overly obessed with the Kardashians & her three dogs (Cooper, Bentley and Lulu). You can follow her on Instagram @ajaerinmo!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!