This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

It’s officially festival season. What better to get you through that midterm slump than something fun to look forward to? There are festivals containing some of the world’s biggest acts from May to September. As a fellow concert fanatic, I’ve put together a ranking guide of the 10 best festivals this summer so all you have to do is hit ‘add to cart.’

Some festivals are less than a month away, so make sure to read all the way to the bottom!

VCU Ramfest, Apr 29

For this year’s spring concert, Atlanta rapper Young Nudy and producer Pierre Bourne will be performing at Brown’s Island. Young Nudy is stopping in Richmond fresh off his current U.S. tour. Most known for his song “EA” with 21 Savage and recent Metro Boomin feature, this is a great concert for the value. Students can get a special discounted rate using the code STUDENT or the link in their VCU email.

Lovers and Friends Fest, May 6

The greatest of 90s R&B and hip hop will all be in Las Vegas at the Lovers and Friends Fest. Everyone from Missy Elliot to Mariah Carey and Nelly to 50 Cent is set to be in the building. For those who are ready to dance, Pitbull, Flo Rida and Shaggy are sure to get the party started. The new generation of R&B including Bryson Tiller, PARTYNEXTDOOR and Jhene Aiko will also be hitting the stage.

So What, June 24 – 25

The up-and-coming So What rock festival in Dallas, Texas features many former Warped Tour staples like Pierce the Veil, The Used, Neck Deep and Breathe Carolina. The two-day lineup has over 60 artists and a steal $150 for a two-day GA pass.

Something In The Water, April 28 – 30, 2023

Local legend Pharell Willaims is taking his festival back to its debut location in his hometown of Virginia Beach, Virginia. Make an amazing beach weekend out of the quick hour-long drive to see this diverse lineup including everyone from Lil Wayne to Remi Wolf. The surprise headliners are always just listed ‘Pharell and Friends,’ but in past years have included Jay Z, Snoop Dogg and Usher.

Dreamville, April 1 & 2

Head down to Raleigh, NC for J.Cole’s festival featuring some of the biggest acts from his label, Dreamville. Hear your pregame playlist live at this star-studded R&B and rap festival including some of Cole’s close friends. Performers include Drake, Ari Lennox, Burna Boy, City Girls and Sean Paul. 

Bonnaroo, June 15 – 18

The historic Tennessee culture and arts music festival is a hub for the best acts in alternative music. Acts listed on the lineup include Zeds Dead, My Morning Jacket and Louis the Child. The festival’s main venue, the Centeroo, has live dance sets 24 hours a day along with campgrounds full of activities.

Broccoli Fest, July 15 & 16

Make a visit to the capital to see the biggest new acts in hip-hop at Broccoli Fest. The lineup includes Lil Uzi Vert and Ice Spice on Saturday along with Brent Faiyaz and Glorilla on Sunday. There will also be a live battle of the bands competition between go-go groups like the Backyard Band and Total Control.

Governor’s Ball, June 9 – 11, 2023

New York’s largest summer festival is star-studded with Lizzo, Odesza and Kendrick Lamar headlining the three-day setlist. Whoever your fav ‘lil’ is, this festival has them booked. Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Baby and Lil Nas X are on the setlist along with some of the biggest names in alternative music like HAIM, Rina Sawayama and Omar Apollo.

Coachella, April 21 – 23
Rolling Loud Miami, July 21 – 23

Didn’t make it to Miami for spring break? You’re in luck — Rolling Loud Miami this year is expected to be a weekend to remember. The official setlist hasn’t dropped yet, but last year’s list included Nicki Minaj, A$ap Rocky and Future as the headliners of the three-day lineup including over 100 other top artists. 

Taya Coates is a senior studying fashion merchandising and minoring in journalism. She hopes to pursue a career as a fashion editor and eventually start her own publication. She is passionate about covering stories on style, social activism, and culture.