The Men of The Emily Henry Universe, Part 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Last semester, I wrote an article dissecting the devastatingly romantic universe of Emily Henry’s books — specifically her male love interests. 

Since that article was published, her fourth romance novel Happy Place was released. I have since read the beautifully heartbreaking love story that is Harriet Kilpatrick and Wyndham Connor. 

I also have a confession to make. When I wrote that article, I hadn’t actually read People We Meet on Vacation. I know, I am a poser. *Pause for public shaming* 

Okay, okay, hear me out. I’m not usually one to listen to other’s opinions, but when I hear mixed reviews about a book I get extremely put off by it. I now realize that isn’t the best way to go about things (duh, Natalie). Instead, I should take the time to form my own opinions and not comply with the masses. 

Before I get into Happy Place, let me gush about Poppy and Alex from People We Meet On Vacation. On BookTok (the book community of TikTok) the consensus on the book is that it’s Henry’s “worst” one. Because the majority of the reviews were bad, I never thought to read it. I loved everything she had written before, so I didn’t want to ruin that with one “bad” story. But everything changed after one recent trip to Target. 

I spotted the orange and green cover in the impulse section of the store. I was headed toward the checkout line, but as I passed the copies set there to tempt me, I was tempted and bought myself a copy and decided it was time to see what the negative reviews were about. 

I am so happy to report that everyone on BookTok was wrong! And that I will never listen to the internet ever again! I was so surprised to see how much I enjoyed the story. I am a huge fan of a slow burn and the way Henry structured the book to be told from the span of their twelve summers together, between then and now, was so incredibly clever. I feel like we as a society have written off the slow burn but it can be one of the most fulfilling tropes in writing. As for our main characters Poppy Wright and Alexander Nilsen, the chemistry within their slow burn was magnetic. 

Alex fears he is a bore, but he is the complete opposite. He is sheltered, yes, but he is so caring of the people he loves. When brought out of his shell, he is witty, enigmatic, and beautiful. Poppy fears of being lonely, but she is surrounded by love. She is so colorful, smart, and energetic. She makes people less lonely even while feeling like the loneliest person in the room. 

People We Meet On Vacation was a story about two people who were scared in some way they were not enough, but when together, there was magic. There was something sacred there. Just for them. And I absolutely loved it. (Aside from the fact that Poppy hates to shower, and Alex’s disdain for saxophones.)

As for Happy Place, it’s a different story. 

I would be lying if I didn’t say it took me a while to get “into” the book, but once I got sucked in, I could not put it down. I think a lot of people online share a similar feeling. Because we have previously been used to watching the love story unfold in real-time, the enemies-to-lovers trope in Henry’s fourth masterpiece was something completely different. To begin, it did not follow the classic “formula’ for the trope. None of her books really do, but instead, Henry creates her own take on a beloved “cliche.” It instead combined enemies-to-lovers with second-chance romance and sort of birthed something along the lines of strangers-to-friends-to-lovers-to- strangers-to-enemies-to-lovers. 

It’s a bit much to follow because all of the characters have an established history, but this is where I believe the flashbacks make this book. To understand why these characters are the way they are, we have to go back to where it all started, and that is where Henry takes us: to the dreamy coastal cottage in Maine. In these flashbacks, we get to watch Wyn and Harriet fall in love, and my god, how beautiful is their love.

Wyn is a flirt, but it’s not his fault. With his natural charm and empathetic nature, it’s hard not to fall in love with him. Harriet, as one Miss Taylor Swift would say, is a ‘‘pathological people pleaser.” But she is also just someone who cares. She thrives in order, is super smart, and is extremely compassionate. This is something she and Wyn share, but their extreme love for others and each other, causes them to be neglectful with themselves. 

Their banter is just so good and that is just Emily Henry’s style. The back-and-forth between the two main characters reads like a tennis match you can’t look away from. It’s quick, precise, well executed, and something amazing to bear witness to. 

Ultimately, the two books share the key element with the previous three in what makes Henry’s characters so likable: they’re just people going through sh*t who want to do good and to be loved. That is why I love romance. That is why I love Emily Henry. 

With all this being said, the men in her novels continue to be absolute dreamboats and I would like to update my previous ratings of the men of the EmHen universe. 

Book Lovers: Charlie Lastra

Personality: punctual, minimalistic, very froward, sarcastic, caring (and the love of my life)

Physical Description: tall, dark, and handsome, has warm golden brown eyes, extremely well dressed, has great taste in fashion (classic but elevated)

Green Flags: sleeps in a racecar bed, is left-handed, and will give you his rent-controlled NYC apartment if you ask

Red Flags: doesn’t see how incredible he is 

Memorable Quote: “So if you’re the ‘wrong kind of woman,’ then I’m the wrong kind of man.”

Movie Fan Cast: Jonah Hauer-King (he too will need to wear contacts because  I’m not compromising about Charlie’s beautiful brown eyes!)

Ranking: ★★★★★ 5/5 Stars He is truly too good to be true

Beach Read: Agustus “Gus” Everett

Personality: pessimist, competitive, naturally smart and talented, very caring just doesn’t show it

Physical Description: salt-peppered hair, olive skin, average height, stocky build, scar on lip, clef chin, big dark eyes

Green Flags: writer, will stand outside in the rain with a boombox begging for your forgiveness

Red Flags: writer, does not communicate his feelings well, daddy issues (he’s working on it!)

Memorable Quote: “… he said shakily, I feel overwhelmed that you exist.”

Movie Fan Cast: Dev Patel (I’ve loved him since “Skins”)

Ranking: ★★★★★ 5/5 Stars My short emotionally unavailable king 

People We Meet On Vacation: Alexander “Alex” Nilsen

Personality: introverted, dry sense of humor, a high school literature teacher, appreciates the art of karaoke  

Physical Description: tall, straight-sandy colored hair that is always a mess, broad shoulders, and banging gym bod

Green Flags: remembers all of the small things, will drive you around because you hate driving, and will get a vasectomy for you

Red Flags: can’t stand not having any control (he’s orderly but for good reason!)

Memorable Quote “I don’t think I knew I was lonely until I met you.”

Movie Fan Cast: Derek Theler (he’d need contacts too, no hazel-eye erasure here!)

Ranking: ★★★★★ 5/5 Stars He is not just some guy, he is THE guy

Happy Place: Wyndham “Wyn” Connor 

Personality: extreme flirt, loyal, empathetic, hard-working, builds furniture, and observant (he sees you, all of you)

Physical Description: tall, eyes like a coyote, has golden hair with a strand that perpetually falls over his eyebrow, crooked cupids bow with a mouth made of quicksand

Green Flags: will follow you across the country to support your dream and will take care of you after a drunken night even after breaking off your engagement 

Red Flags: will break up with you over the phone after eight years (no because what the f*ck was that!?), is extremely hard on himself, and will suffer in silence for the sake of protecting you

Memorable Quote: “Because even if there was nothing else for me, it felt like loving you was what I was made for.”

Movie Fan Cast: ? I actually have no clue, I didn’t picture anyone real. I’d be interested to see someone new capture his essence on the big screen. 

Ranking: ★★★★★ 5/5 Stars He is a walking dream

Once again, Emily Henry continues to find something only I thought existed in my brain and make it beautiful, and I, love objectifying men, especially when they’re fictional. 

Natalie Pineda is an English and Creative Writing student. She loves reading and writing is her passion. She enjoys stories written by women for women. Romcoms are her genre of choice and appreciates the art of indie movies.