The Autumn Blues And How To Get Through It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Out of the four seasons in the year, I would say autumn is my favorite. The leaves change into crisp yellows, oranges and reds, the temperature cools and football games begin; pumpkin patches, apple picking, Halloween and finally getting to wear flare leggings again. These are just some of the things that I adore about fall. Although autumn comes with all of these fun, beautiful things… there are also some major lows that come with the change of season. 

The main low of autumn is seasonal depression. When the weather gets cold, the sun sets faster, and the trees turn bare—seasonal depression creeps in. Although there are all of these thrilling things that occur in the fall, sometimes the bad feelings outweigh the things that we are most excited about. As well, it doesn’t help that school goes back into session during this time, making life even more stressful. 

Last autumn was one of the hardest times I have ever gone through. I became so depressed that I couldn’t leave my bed, and when I did, I completely dissociated from my reality. I know that I am not alone in this feeling. Almost all of my friends also experience seasonal depression and it is such a hard battle. I completely forgot about my love for the season and focused on my own upsetting emotions. Even a pumpkin spice latte failed to lift my spirits. 

Despite all of these negative feelings, I still managed to have a glimmer of hope that the next day would be better. That the next day I would feel better. That the next day everything would be okay. Eventually, everything did become more okay. Things did eventually get better than before. Attitude is everything during this time of year.

I want to share some advice about how to work with your own seasonal depression and how to support your friends who are going through it. 

For you: 

1. It is okay to say no. 
  2. Take time just for yourself. 
  3. Take yourself out on a date. 
  4. Walk around your neighborhood or go on a hike and clear your mind. Appreciate the beauty of the fall season. 
  5. If you need to take a day off from school, take it. It will be okay. 
  6. Journal. Express your feelings in a healthy way. 
  7. Find a safe place to be in your own thoughts. 
  8. Do some yoga or meditation. 
  9. Watch your comfort show. 
  10. Plan something small every day to look forward to (for example, a dessert after dinner).

How to support your friends:

1. Give them space where it is needed.
  2. Be understanding.
  3. Offer them support and love. Tell them that you are there for them.
  4. Invite them to places.
  5. Show them your love in their love language and on their terms. Boundaries are okay and are needed. 

The lists could continue on and on, but you get the gist. Seasonal depression is something that is common for all people, no matter their age, gender, race, etc. Everyone has their struggles. Everyone has their moments. We all need to show love and compassion during this season. Be kind to yourself and your loved ones, please. This, too, shall pass, and we will all be okay.

Irelyn Rogan is studying Elementary Education with a minor in Psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University. Irelyn is a third-year student, and this is her fifth semester as a HerCampus journalist! She is very interested in lifestyle, pop culture, and entertainment in general.