Thanksgiving Food Ranked from Worst to Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Thanksgiving, lacking in Halloween’s showmanship and Christmas’s glamour, is often overlooked. But Thanksgiving has both holidays beat in one category…the food. So while everyone else is getting all holly and jolly, let’s rank which Thanksgiving foods are a cut above the rest and which don’t even make the cut. Here’s Thanksgiving food ranked from the worst to the best, and remember…

20. Tofurkey

It maybe an easy target, but let’s face it tofurkey is an…acquired taste to say the least. To say the most, it tastes like sadness. Bland with an odd texture…not exactly the highlight of a Thanksgiving feast.

19. Carrots

Being excited for the carrots at Thanksgiving is like going to Disneyworld and being excited for waiting in line. Let’s face it, no one ever looks forward to the carrots. No. One.

18. Stuffing

I can’t be the only one who finds stuffing to be massively over-hyped. Yes, that includes the instant Stove Top brand. Y’all can keep your soggy bread. Next.  

17. Creamed Corn

Creamed corn is a struggle meal, and not meant to be at the Thanksgiving dinner table. Cancelled.

16. Yams

No amount of marshmallows will make this stuff taste right. Is it dessert? Is it an entree? I don’t trust it.

15. Green Bean Casserole

The minute that all the onion crisps are gone, this dish goes from bomb to inedible. Hope you enjoy green bean, mushroom mush.

14. Pecan Pie

Pecan pie is the bran muffin of Thanksgiving desserts.

13. Cornbread

Corn bread is solid and dependable. It’s not the best, but NOT the worst. It’s the John Krasinski of Thanksgiving food.

12. Collard Greens

Any dish with bacon is an automatic winner, especially when you put bacon on top of veggies.

11. Sweet Potato Pie

Sweet Potato pie is a Thanksgiving classic. Pie is definitely sweet potatoes best form.

10. Corn on the Cob

Beginning our top ten is the American classic, corn on the cob. Buttery, sweet and juicy, corn on the cob is a banger.

9. Turkey

Sort of here out of obligation, a Thanksgiving without turkey is blasphemous. However, in the wrong hands, the meat can become Popeyes’ biscuits level of dry. Proceed with caution.

8. Ham

Ham is better than turkey, I’m just going to say it. It’s moister and you can make a killer hambone soup afterwards. It’s a win/win.

7. Cranberry Sauce

Don’t lie, you know when you see that Ocean Spray cranberry loaf, you get excited. Jellied cranberry sauce is slept on.

6. Rolls

Crescent, garlic-butter or yeast, you can never go wrong with a good roll. Bring on the carbs, bay-beh!

5. Mashed Potatoes

Mashed potatoes are so versatile. You can have creamy, lumpy, with chives and bacon or just with a lil bit of gravy. Any and all mashed potatoes are delicious.

4. Gravy

Now you’re probably wondering, “why didn’t you just add gravy to the mashed potatoes category?” Because, that’s how much I love gravy. Gravy is liquid magic.

3. Apple Pie

Call me Jim Levenstein because I love me an apple pie.

2. Pumpkin Pie

If autumn had a taste, it would be pumpkin pie. Creamy, cinnamony and not too sweet, it’s everything you want in a pie.

1. Mac and Cheese

Baked mac and cheese is the Beyoncé of Thanksgiving food. No matter what it’s paired with, it simultaneously compliments and outshines it. It’s a dish that nearly anyone can make. The king of sides dishes.

Well, there you have it, one fat*ss’ opinion among many. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Photo Credits: Cover Photo1, 2 3, 4, 5, 6 ,7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21

Arianna Coghill is a Print and Online Journalism major in her junior year at Virginia Commonwealth University. She's a huge fan of Tracee Ellis Ross, the Harry Potter series and thinly veiling her insecurities under a layer of sarcasm. She misses the oxford comma dearly and can usually be found writing and/ or binge watching various sci-fi television shows. #blacklivesmatter
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!