This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for everything you have done in my life because without you I would be nowhere.

It’s crazy to think that it’s been so many years since you and my mom got together. The way you have treated her and spoil her like the queen she is, it doesn’t go unnoticed, and we appreciate it.

I never really had a father figure in my life when I was younger, but then, you came along. It was different because before I didn’t have anyone that would take the time out of their day to teach me about life. From random camping survival tips to advice on what to do, you seem to know everything to me. It’s cool to have a person that actually has been through life and just wants to see me prosper.

It was scary for me at first, because I always was worried about calling someone “dad.” I never knew if someone would be permanent, but I know this definitely will be. It’s comforting to know that I can always count on you. You have helped me and seen me at my best and worst times and have still supported me throughout everything. I’ve learned many lessons and about things like self-discipline. You are basically a guide through life because you’ve been to so many places in the world and know just about everything about every subject on the planet. You also have taught me that the most important thing in the world is to have faith and trust God. All of that combined are the greatest enlightenments. You’ve given me the gift of knowledge.

Not only have you done that, but you have taken me in and provided me so many things like that, but also clothes, shelter, food, vacations, books, school, a freaking car– everything! No one – ever – has done anything like that for me, and I am forever grateful. It really shows that you care about me and my well-being. I would have never been able to experience half of the things I have in my life without you introducing it to me. The way you and my mom help guide me through my life is what keeps me sane.

One day, I promise I will be able to pay you both back for everything you have done for me. I love you, and I can honestly say I don’t even feel comfortable calling you my step-dad anymore. You are my dad, and I am happy that you will always be in my life. Thanks for everything you do for me and our family.

Image credit

Jasmine Medrano-Guevara is a senior studying print and online journalism at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys laughing at corny jokes, trying new recipes on Pinterest, makeup and writing reviews on Yelp. Jasmine hopes to work for a women's magazine after college. You can follow her on Instagram @jasminemedrano_ !
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!