This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Main pop girls Taylor Swift and Lana Del Rey have been seen together a lot recently, and many people are curious about their friendship and when it all began. As a big Lana fan, I never picked up on the fact that she and Taylor are friends, but I absolutely love it! They have also made songs together, such as Snow on the Beach. Both artists are absolutely brilliant and successful apart, but together, they made such a power duo!

According to J-14, Taylor and Lana met through their mutual friend and producer, Jack Antonoff. Antonoff was working on both Taylor and Lana’s albums, Midnights and Did You Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd, around the same time and got them to hang out more often. Although they had collaborated before and had been to events together, they were more just mutual friends. As of recent, they have become besties! 

When Taylor’s album, Midnights, dropped, her fans loved the feature she had on Snow on the Beach. Although it was a small feature, the audience begged for more. Leading them to make another version of the song where Lana sings more; how awesome!

At the 2024 Grammys a couple of weeks ago, we saw Taylor and Lana sitting next to each other during the award show. They seemed to be having a lovely time, enjoying each other’s company and chatting throughout. It was all fun and games until it came time to see the winner of the Best Album of the Year. Taylor and Lana were up against each other for this award. I feel that it is also important to note that Taylor has won multiple Grammy awards, and Lana has not won one yet. Taylor won the Best Album of the Year Award, and naturally, Lana looked a bit upset. She still clapped for her friend and congratulated her, but did not seem like the happiest camper. Taylor takes it upon herself to invite Lana up on stage with her to receive the award. The act of doing this was very awkward, and Lana did not seem extremely happy to be up there. Although I believe that Taylor had the right intentions, I believe that it was the wrong execution. 

As a Lana stan, I think that the Grammys constantly rob her of the awards that she very well deserves. In the industry, I think that she’s a very misunderstood artist who deserves more credit. I feel that Lana was uncomfortable up on that stage, and it honestly made me sad to see. I may have even shed a tear or two; I can’t lie. 

Even if there was any beef after that somewhat awkward moment, we wouldn’t be able to tell as Taylor brought Lana to the Superbowl on Feb. 11. The two were spotted up in the stands alongside Ice Spice and Blake Lively – what a group! They seemed to have a lot of fun eating, drinking, chatting, and cheering on Taylor’s boyfriend, Super Bowl winner Travis Kelce. 

I love the friendship that Taylor and Lana have, and would love to see more of them in the future! As well, I hope they collaborate more in their music together. What are your thoughts on their friendship?

Irelyn Rogan is studying Elementary Education with a minor in Psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University. Irelyn is a third-year student, and this is her fifth semester as a HerCampus journalist! She is very interested in lifestyle, pop culture, and entertainment in general.