Tattoo Tuesday: Katie Skinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Tattoo #1:

What does your tattoo mean?

It’s a little hard to put into words, but this was my first tattoo, so I was trying to set the stage of how I was going to live the rest of my life. It’s a delicate reminder to break free from anything you feel you are trapped in. Comfort, insecurity, outrageous expectations, sadness…The list goes on.

Why’d you get it?

Well, I’ve always liked my shoulders, haha…I also liked the idea of looking at myself in the mirror and seeing something that reminds me who I am, who is in control of my body & decisions (me) and I wanted to make that decision to get a tattoo for myself.

On a scale from 1-10, rate the pain:  

It wasn’t bad! It was quick and in a relatively painless placement. Probably a 2.5

Tattoo #2:

What does your tattoo mean?

I tried to have it look as if I am always walking on flowers. Whether you’re wearing flip flops, stilettos, kitten heels, combat boots or Nikes, try to remember that you are part of the earth. When I am in times of stress, I like to look down at my foot and think about walking on soft grass with beautiful flowers.

Why’d you get it?

It’s a nice reminder at the end of the day when you take your shoes off. Many people warned me about that placement, they said the foot is a terribly painful place to get a tattoo and that it wears off quickly. Turns out they were right about both, but I knew with that all the big decisions coming up in my career, I had to find some symbol to remind myself to stay centered and calm in times of anxiety. I really like this tattoo. I plan on expanding it further so it goes up my ankle. I want wild, crazy, beautiful wilderness on my foot. It’s really worn down, and it’ll always be that way, but I kind of like it. It adds character.

On a scale from 1-10, rate the pain:  

Yikes. A 9…. If you’re thinking about getting a foot tattoo, remember deep breaths. I frequently joke about how this was some of the worst pain I’ve ever experienced. It feels like you’re being cut with a scalpel….

Tattoo #3:

What does your tattoo mean?

This one is also hard to put in words, but I used to be a big swimmer. I found strength in swimming and connecting with the water. I’ve always loved looking at fish and reading about them in books. There’s something so graceful and powerful about them, even the cute little ones! I got scales on my hip instead of just a picture of a fish because I identify with the statement “fish out of water” and I want to permanently instill the idea that there is grace and strength in that.

Why’d you get it?

I’m not gonna lie, this one was a little more impulsive than I’m willing to admit. It was a walk in because I thought it would be a fun way to spend my Saturday. However, the ideas I just spoke about have rung true for me my whole life and I smile every time I see that tattoo.

On a scale from 1-10, rate the pain:  

A 6. Not the worst, but not comfortable. With all that shading, your skin gets really irritated and you start to get a little crabby.

Tattoo #4:

What does your tattoo mean?

This is a faceless portrait of Marina and the Diamonds, my favorite musical artist. I’ve been huge a fan of hers since I was 15. The quote, “The things that humans do to leave behind a little proof” is from her song Immortal, which discusses this legacy we want want to leave behind when we die, but the song leaves you with the hopeful message that “the only thing that doesn’t die is love”. The portrait is to give her credit for all the hope, empowerment, confidence, joy and comfort she has given me.

Why’d you get it? 

I liked this quote because it forced me to think about what I do to “leave behind a little proof” in my life, and that Marina’s legacy is her impact on me and her other fans. I’ve been reluctant to have portrait tattoos done, but I was confident in the artist’s talent to take this risk. I absolutely love it. It makes me happy every time I look at it.

On a scale from 1-10, rate the pain:  

9.7… This one was mostly painful because it took 5 hours. The ribs are not exactly a painless place, either. I would encourage anyone to carefully consider it before getting a big, detailed piece on their rib. It’s painful stuff. I came close to passing out a couple times, but bring some lunch, a friend to distract you, a lotta water, and take deep breaths!

Do you plan on getting more tattoos?

Yes!

Hello! My name is Noura Bayoumi and I am a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University. I am studying print journalism with a minor in English. In my free time, I like to explore the city, spend time with my friends and family, and go outdoors.