Struggles of Being a Transfer Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Transferring to another school is never painless. You can’t wait to get to your other school, but know the process feels never ending at times. Here are a few struggles that every transfer student has to go through: 

1. Getting used to a new environment

You’re coming from another college and this place will take some getting used to. Especially if you came from a community college, now you’re a small fish in a big pond! These new feelings and new environment will take some getting used to. 

2.  Feeling like a freshman

You get lost, you don’t know where certain things are, you ask for directions and people assume you’re a freshman! No, I’m just a transfer student who feels like one.

3. Transferring credits

Having your old college transfer your credits is such a pain. Hopefully everything transfers, because if not you might have to take a class (or two) over again.

4. Finding new spots

As you learn your way around your new campus you have to find your favorite new places. Favorite study spot, favorite place to relax, favorite place to eat and favorite coffee shop.

5. Making new friends

You left your friends at your old school or maybe your family if you lived at home while you went to community college. Time to really use your social skills and make friends. Find a few classmates to study with or join an organization on campus!

6. Accepting the fact that you won’t graduate on time

No matter how many credits you transferred, you probably won’t graduate on time. Time to cram all of your semesters with classes, especially if you are an art or any creative major.

7. The work load being different

Every school is academically different. You may have gotten good grades at your old college, but that doesn’t mean it will be the same at your new school. Different professors and new standards mean you have to adapt academically.

8.  Finding a dorm or an apartment

You miss your old roommate from your previous college, or if you’re from a community college this is the first time you’ll live on your own. It’s a scary thing! Find a place you like with a college friendly budget and look for a potential roommate.

9.  Figuring out all the specific student hacks

Every school has certain things that the students know. Such as “You should never eat there” or “You should wait to do this.” You have to learn these hacks along the way from new people, and be sure you thank them for telling you!

10.  Having to explain what “year” you are

Based on credits you’ve earned versus how far along you are to getting your degree, it’s hard to explain. “Well I’m a transfer student so technically I’m a ____, but I won’t be graduating until _____.”

While transferring with all of your general education classes is bae, the process of transferring and transitioning to your new campus is never easy. Once you get used to it you’ll realize you were always meant to end up at your new college!

Ashley is a Senior at Virginia Commmonwealth University majoring in mass communications concentrating in print & online journalism. She is the Senior Editor for Her Campus at VCU and a member of the Society of Professional Journalists at VCU. She is an avid coffee drinker, dog lover and dreamer. She hopes to one day be a reporter for a newspaper, magazine, or an online version of the two.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!