Soups, Soups And More Soups: Fall Recipes I Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Each season has a range of foods that best fit its own aesthetic. In Winter, the frigid season that is synonymous with Christmas, people bake spicy baked goods. In Spring, people cook lighter foods and pastries that resemble new beginnings. Summer’s humid heat combines lovely with fruity drinks and refreshing dishes. Fall is unique because it’s compatible with different cozy comfort foods that bring childlike nostalgia. However, there is one type of food that everyone can enjoy because it’s so versatile. Soup! In my opinion, soup is one of the best foods to make during the pumpkin season.  

Classic Chicken Noodle Soup 

This soup is very nostalgic, and everyone knows what it is. I remember the Campbell Soup commercial that would come on during the holidays. It was about a snowman who turned into a little boy after eating some chicken noodle soup. Very nostalgic. It contains noodles, broth and chicken. Depending on your mood, you can spice it up with rotisserie chicken, and various vegetables such as celery, carrots and onions. This soup is great for those who want a classic or something light. Of course, it is amazing for those under the weather, paired with a pack of saltine crackers and some Canada Dry ginger ale. 

Tomato Soup

Now we’re getting a little more fancy. Tomato soup is another one of those dishes that can be considered a classic childhood dish. However, it is made differently each time I see a recipe. This soup is a blend of tomatoes, some kind of cream or milk, vegetable broth and aromatics such as onions and garlic. The best compliment to tomato soup is a grilled cheese sandwich and a medium-bodied red wine. A match made in heaven!

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

This creamy, to-die-for soup is one of my favorite dishes. It is a potato in a new form! This soup is a bit more complicated to make, but not impossible. It is made with gold potatoes, heavy cream, milk, broth, onion and garlic. What makes this potato soup “loaded” is that sour cream, bacon, cheese and chives are added to the mixture or as a garnish. Despite this soup being on the heavier side, it still holds the #1 spot for my favorite soup. This recipe pairs well with a sweet white wine.

French Onion Soup

French onion soup is another heavy soup. However, it is so delicious and packed full of flavor that the heaviness can be overlooked. It is made with onions, broth, brandy, gruyere cheese and various spices. This dish is served with some kind of French bread or a baguette and a red wine such as a pinot noir. I think this soup would be great on a particularly cold night!

Butternut Squash Soup 

For my vegetarians, butternut squash soup is a great option for a “cold winter’s night” comfort food. It is made with butternut squash, vegetable broth, olive oil and more spices. It is served with some kind of crusty bread, and Brussels sprouts, and goes well with a white wine. 

Chili 

I love chili! It’s one of the best food dishes ever invented. While chili isn’t technically a soup, it is a mixture of foods to make a compound served in a bowl, therefore, it counts! It can be made with ground beef, beef broth, tomato paste, tomatoes, kidney beans, yellow onion, chili powder, ground cumin and other spices. This is one of the more complicated dishes, however, it can be made to fit certain dietary needs. Chili is 100% a football game-day dish and goes great with saltine crackers and a cold beer!

I’m not saying that these soups are must-haves for fall, however, they are exciting to make and try. Not to mention there are thousands of other soup combinations waiting to be tested. Happy eating!

Chelsea is a senior Broadcast Journalism major at Virginia Commonwealth University and a new member of the HerCampus editorial team. She spends much of her time studying, passionately watching musicals, singing, and acting. Chelsea graduates in May 2024 and wants to move to New York City or California to pursue her professional career.