Ryan “DJ-Please” Corniel; The People’s DJ

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

What year are you?
Well on my way to a super senior.

What’s your major?
Double Major in Finance and Homeland Security.

What’s your ethnicity? 
Dominican and French Canadian.

How and when did you start DJing?  Hmmm, it was 2007 Christmas. I got my first basic set up as a present. It ended up being something I wanted to pursue and it’s been an awesome journey ever since. 

DJ Please, that’s an interesting name. How did you come up with that? 
Well, actually, it’s a secret. My secondary interesting fact, haha.

What kind of music do you play? 
Ah, man, if you scroll through my library, you’ll find anything from bachata to electro to some good old slow jams. You could say I just play good music.

Favorite memory while DJing?
The one that really sticks out was when I did an event at The Camel, I believe it was for FACT, and I had people crowd surfing. Sorry if I got you kicked out ! Haha

What has been your biggest “gig”?

I want to say it was at ECU. We had four DJ’s spinnin a full venue and they had me closing the set. I would highly recommend making the trip out there if you can, ha.

Who inspires you musically and non-musically?
Musically, just all the DJ’s that did it and are still doing it. Non Musically, my parentals for sure. All of their past time stories have shown me that they’ve never settled for less, and I don’t plan doing so either. 

3 most played songs in your itunes?
1. Cassidy- Drumma Bass
2.J Cole- You Got it
3.Ghostface Killah- Together Baby

Are you pursuing a career out of djing?
As of right now, I’m just focused on getting my degrees, but if it just so happened to turn into a career, EYO! 

For the impending zombie apocalypse, what will be your weapon of choice and why?
I have my Hyena Infar-red sniper with jug and PHD under the bed, no biggie! It’s a boss’s gun.

What do you want to change about yourself?
I wish I was taller, I wish I was a baller….No, but seriously, definitely my consistency.

What is your guilty pleasure Disney movie?
The Incredibles hands down.

Where can we hear some of your music? 
For free mixes, peep my soundcloud ! WWW.Soundcloud.com/Cornielrn
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/DJ-Please/146676775376966

Mymy Dinh is a graduate of Virginia Commonwealth University, pursuing a career in pharmacy. Born on January 20, 1992, she is the second oldest out of 5 children. She is also majoring in science with a double minor in chemistry and biology. She enjoys volunteer work, being around her family, organizing desks and rooms, shopping, meeting new people, and traveling.