RVA’s Newest Spot: Hatch Local Food Hall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The Richmond community always rejoices when a new dining option comes to the neighborhood. Our newest addition is known as “Hatch Local Food Hall” and it is a collaboration of seven local vendors all under one roof. Each local vendor contributes a wide array of dining options and brings a certain creativity to the table. Whether you are in the mood to grab a bite to eat, hang with a friend or catch up on some homework, Hatch is the perfect place to visit.

Being a huge “foodie” myself, I was eager to check out Hatch the day it opened. I was impressed by not only the vendors present but the space as a whole. There is a coffee bar, event space, outdoor dining, curated market and a full-service bar. Also, the abundance of natural light and space creates a relaxing ambiance despite the influx of people moving in and out.

During my visit, I ended up trying out Fat Kid Sandwiches which is a business run by couple Jon Martin and Liz Clifford. I had the pleasure of interacting with both of them and they were as sweet as could be. My meal was to die for so I would definitely recommend checking them out if you stop by the Hatch. 

The other local vendors include Odyssey Fish, The Beet Box, Royal Pig, Sincero and Buttermilk + Honey. All of which offer anything from Cambodian cuisine to good old American comfort food. Also, each place offers gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan options so everyone in your party can be accommodated to.

I was also extremely excited to be able to meet the owners of Buttermilk + Honey, Kimberley Love-Lindsey and her husband Michael Lindsey. They opened their first location only a year ago amidst the pandemic and they were already named the best chicken sandwich in America by both Nation’s Restaurant and News and Restaurant Hospitality. They are proof that though these businesses are new to the industry, they are coming out strong.

Food halls are an amazing way to help aspiring restaurateurs kick start their business without having to put all their money down on a single location. These places reduce some of the risks that come with starting a business and, in a way, give these entrepreneurs a trial run. By just renting a space in the hall as these owners do, they avoid the hassle of managing a building and all the troubles that come with it. 

Supporting our local businesses is an important and very rewarding thing to do. These businesses often have a smaller carbon footprint, they donate more to nonprofits and generally are more invested in the well-being of our community. If you are going to spend your money on food, you might as well feel good about it.

Swing by Hatch and try out one (or all) of these local businesses. I promise you will not be disappointed. There is endless food and free WiFi… what more could you ask for?

Susan Culbreth is a first year Mass Communications student at Virginia Commonwealth University . Her passions include environmental justice and pop culture !