This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

When I was in grade school, there were never enough hours in the day. There was so much to do and so much to learn. Whether it be sports practice, reading a new book, perfecting a makeup look that I saw on Youtube or randomly deciding to learn a new instrument. I never really enjoyed going to school, but it was a compromise because afterward, I could do whatever I wanted. The world was really my oyster, and there were so many possibilities.

Fast forward to my 20’s. There are still not enough hours in the day, but for very different reasons. Adulthood can sometimes feel like you’re chained to an anchor that is sinking rapidly to the bottom of the ocean. You’re bogged down with school, work and the constant pressure to build up your future career. Long gone are the days where you used to get excited for class to end so you could go to cheerleading practice. When class ends, it’s time for the boring time requirement. And by the time you finally get home, the only thing you feel up to doing is laying in bed and watching TikToks.

About a month ago, I was having a conversation with my therapist. I was telling her how adulthood to me was basically just one commitment that I didn’t want to do after the other. I missed the days when I could try new things and have fun. I missed doing little things for me that made me happy.

My therapist then dropped some harsh wisdom on me. In my transition to adulthood, I had left behind all of my hobbies. I had also convinced myself that as an adult, I was too busy or serious to have them. What we did was come up with five things that I used to enjoy doing while growing up. What I came up with was reading, baking, running, being outside and painting.

Now I had to come up with five hobbies that I have always wanted to pursue but never did. What I came up with was fashion, singing, photography, doing makeup and kayaking. We came up with a plan where each week, I would set time aside for one hobby that I used to like and one that I had never tried. I could even find ways to combine hobbies. For example, I could read a book outside or style a creative outfit and take pictures of myself in it.

That week, I baked chocolate chip cookies from scratch. I also went for a run at a park near my house. Just doing those two little things made me feel so much better. And surprisingly, I felt so much more productive even though I was doing things that weren’t on my calendar. It was like I went on a date with myself and made my relationship with her better. It also gave me something to look forward to.

In adulthood, we often forget to do things for ourselves. We are our own best friends. Treat yourself as you would treat a best friend. You want to make time for them, do nice things for them, and maintain a happy and healthy relationship. Like it or not, you are stuck hanging out with yourself for the rest of your life. You might as well make it a good relationship.

Adulthood is busy, and it’s frustrating. However, it doesn’t have to be as horrible as we treat it. You have a lot more control over your time and your commitments than you may think. Even if it’s just taking the time to go on a thirty-minute walk each week or cooking yourself a nice breakfast, it will make your week a lot better.

Ask yourself the same questions: what did you use to love to do? What have you always wanted to do? Then set a little time aside each week to do them. Rediscovering hobbies is not only fun, but it’s life-changing. 

Mackenzie is a VCU student studying Mass Communications and Fashion Merchandising. She loves all things fashion, watching reality TV, and her two cats.