Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

Ranking the Gilmore Girls’ Love Interests

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Rory and Lorelai have several love interests throughout the seven seasons of Gilmore Girls, each of which brought different things to their relationships and the show. I have watched Gilmore Girls more times than I can count so I have compiled a list of the best and worst love interests in the show (and yes I am qualified to make these important decisions).

Logan Huntzberger

The best love interest in Gilmore Girls is Logan, bar none. He loved Rory so much that he was willing to change his lifestyle and take a chance on being in a relationship. He worshiped the ground she walked on and was so charming. Every time I see the scene where they meet I become more and more obsessed with them. Sure he made mistakes in their relationship, but he makes up for it with his personality.

Luke Danes

Luke and Lorelai are obviously meant for each other. Outside of his relationship with Lorelai, Luke was so loving toward Rory and treated her as his own child because he knew her father was absent. He always put Rory and Lorelai first and did everything he could to make them happy. The only reason he isn’t number one is because he looks like he’s putting Lorelai in a chokehold when they kiss. 

Jess Mariano

I love Jess just as much as the next girl but he doesn’t beat Logan because he is too good for Rory. Jess makes the bad boy role interesting again and I love that he is closed off with everyone but Rory. She was able to bring out the best in him and later when she lost her way he brought her back to reality and encouraged her to do better.

Max Medina

Max Medina is the one that got away. If I could pick someone other than Luke for Lorelai I would pick Max. He was so kind to the girls and was excited to join their life. He was so smart and the connection he and Lorelai shared was unmatched. Not to mention he’s really hot.

Tristan Dugrey

I know Rory and Tristan never actually dated but I put him on the list because he holds a special place in my heart. His flirting is unmatched and he would have been the perfect enemies-to-lovers storyline.I also love the lore that he was supposed to be Rory’s love interest when she went to Yale.

Jason Stiles

Jason was funny but he was such a weird pair for Lorelai. I liked that he was different from her other love interests but they clearly were not good together. He gives me weird vibes and I don’t like how he tried to be charming when he clearly wasn’t.

Dean Forester

Dean is the worst of Rory’s boyfriends because he is consistently overbearing. In Season One, when Rory doesn’t say she loves him back he breaks up with her which is such a red flag. He just gets worse as the show goes on. His haircut in Season Four is reason enough to hate him. He never got over Rory and cheated on his wife with her, landing him at the second worst on the list.

Christopher Hayden

Words can’t describe how much I hate Christopher. The way he could never get over Lorelai is honestly embarrassing for him. He also took advantage of Lorelai’s vulnerability when she and Luke broke up. She would not have started a relationship with him again if he hadn’t manipulated her feelings. The episodes when Lorelai and Chrisopher are married are so hard to watch and I have to find the strength to watch it every time. He’s also a terrible father to Rory but that’s a subject for another day.

This list might be controversial for some but I don’t make the rules, I just make the lists. Team Logan rules, Jess girls don’t come for me and Team Dean, seek help. Who is at the top of your list for the Gilmore Girls?

Sadie Kinzer is a junior at VCU, majoring in fashion merchandising with a minor in media studies. She loves reading and thrifting and spends time finding the best thrift stores around. She is interested in fashion and pop culture.