Otakon 2013: Celebrating 20 Years of Japanese Animation and Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Otakon 2013

Otakon 20:  Celebrating 20 years of Japanese animation and culture.

August 9th-11th was a huge milestone for the enthusiastic volunteers and attendees of Otakon:  The 20th birthday of the biggest anime convention on the east coast.  God bless the citizens of Baltimore for tolerating the thousands of eager anime fans and cosplayers that flood their harbor and city during this time every summer.  It can’t be too bad for Baltimore natives since they get to see sexy Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VIIFree! (Anime series) and Disney Princess cosplayers (hmmm muscles and abs) walking around. This was my fourth time attending the famed anime convention and I couldn’t wait to start wandering around the Baltimore Convention Center, snapping pictures and trying to decide what event to go to next.  I could barely contain myself once the weekend began; there was just so much to see and so little time to see it all!  Not to mention how busy my friends and I were making sure our cosplays (costume play outfits where one occasionally stays in character of the person they are portraying) were good to show off.  VCU students Rosemary Palack and Elizabeth Urena attended Otakon with me this year and all three of us decided to cosplay.  Palack went as Storm from X-Men, Poison Ivy, and Hipster Kida from Atlantis: The Lost Empire.  Urena went as the Traveler from the indie game Journey.  I myself went as Ed from Cowboy Bebop and as Princess Jasmine from Aladdin in her red outfit.  We ran into fellow VCU student Rachel Takahashi who also decided to cosplay as Princess Mononoke from one of Miyazaki’s famed films.    

*Photo by Cat Do

Otakon was bumping with its hyped up fans crowding the streets and hanging around in clusters all around the convention area, clutching their schedules and frantically trying to decide where to go first.  The convention was big enough to stick several planes in, but I was still often stuck chilling in lines and pushed up against groups of people.  It was after all, the 20th year anniversary so people from all over the country had showed up to the convention.  The Dealer’s Room, where vendors bring various merchandise to sell, was as busy and extravagant as ever.  The Artist Alley showcased beautiful artwork and intricate knick-knacks.  If you ever attend Otakon, both places are sure to make your wallet weep.  

There were multiple panels with the guest celebrities, autograph sessions, concerts with fan favorites such as Yoko Kanno and T.M. Revolution, and workshops where people could find out how to create certain props or learn a little Japanese.  There were contests, a maid cafe, a huge game room, plenty of video showings of various anime shows, a burlesque show and so many other crazy events.  I attended a bit of the AMV (Anime Music Video) contest where people created imaginative videos featuring certain anime shows with music going along with whatever theme the video was portraying.  That event was extremely entertaining.

While the weather was poor, the attitudes of the cosplayers and the volunteers were upbeat and cheery.  It was stressful getting around due to the population in and around the convention area, but my friends and I managed, and we had a great time.  Professional photographers were snapping pictures left and right and bunches of excited Otakus gleefully clamored to meet-ups and photo shoots.  During the late nights of the convention, 18+ people could find themselves at panels showcasing more of the “adult” side of Japanese culture and anime (not for the faint of heart. Or those who can’t stop laughing once they watch ridiculous Hentai).  Otakon certainly did not disappoint me in coming face to face with colorful, loud, and fun anime fans.  People bring their A-game when cosplaying so you’re always bound to see something and think “HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE TO CREATE?!” Otakon was a joy to attend this year, and I cannot wait to return next year!

*photo credit to Cat Do

*photo credit to Cat Do

I had the amazing opportunity to interview some astounding voice actresses and actors – ones that are legends in the animation world. I was so nervous meeting with them, but I managed to keep my cool (at least I think I did?).  I interviewed Cristina Vee, Todd Haberkorn, Home Made Kazoku, Maile Flanagan, Vic Mignogna, Jad Saxton and Crispin Freeman.  These individuals are beloved by the anime community, and I am honored to have been able to interview them for Her Campus VCU.  Be sure to check out those interviews as well!

*Photo credit

http://i2.wp.com/24-7kpop.COM/…

Rosemary Palack

Kira Coleman

Elizabeth Urena

Monica Hunasikatti

Kieran Claffey

Cat Do

Rachel Takahashi

Monica Hunasikatti is currently a student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is an African American Studies and Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies double major. When she’s not doing her school work, assisting in crushing the patriarchy, or wishing she could speak French, she is reading good literary works, browsing Tumblr, and shopping.
Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.