An Open Letter to my Parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Dear Mom and Dad,

I’m sorry I haven’t called in a while, and even still that I don’t call as often as I should. I like to say I’m busy, but that really shouldn’t be an excuse not to take 10 minutes out of my day to say hi and yes, that I ate today. I just really wanted to take this opportunity to thank you guys for everything that you do and continue to do for me.

Raising me must not have been easy. I know how stubborn I can be and how much of an attitude I can have sometimes, but I hope it never gets so bad that it makes me seem ungrateful. Being away from you guys has made me realize how blessed I am. I mean, I always knew how amazing you guys were in raising me, but now that I’m only beginning to taste adulthood, I can only imagine the sacrifices that you made for me. We were never rich and we weren’t exactly poor, but you did everything you could so that I could be comfortable. Even if you worried about finances or your jobs or the future, you never let it known to me. I know there were times that you only said you were full so that I could finish the cake we were sharing, even though deep down I know you wanted more too. It’s the little things like this that I often take advantage of; I never realized how far above and beyond you go for me, even though I don’t appreciate it sometimes.

Thank you for teaching me to be strong and courageous and to keep true to my faith, even though life doesn’t seem to be going my way. Thank you for holding me every time I’ve cried and letting me know that everything would be okay in the end. I used to think that those kind and encouraging words you told me were just the “parent thing” to say, and I often forgot to listen to the love behind them. I know that seeing me upset hurt you guys too. You guys were always the rock that I needed and the push to keep moving forward. Even though we’re not together every single day anymore, your example is still my motivation to keep pushing on.

To be honest, college is scaring me sometimes, and the thought that I’m graduating soon and have to start thinking about entering the real world is even scarier. It definitely helps knowing that I’ll always have you guys supporting me and rooting for me. I owe so much of who I am to you guys raising me right – from dad’s sense of humor teaching me to take life easy to mom’s caring nature to be accepting of everyone. I know you just want what you think is best for me, and I don’t think I appreciate that I have someone to care that much about me. 

I know I may not have turned out the exact way you wanted me to, but I hope I still make you proud. You guys are the strongest and most caring, giving and down-to-earth people I know and it truly is an honor that I don’t deserve to be able to call myself your daughter. I hope when you guys look at me, you see parts of yourselves because growing up to be like you guys is probably the highest achievement I could possibly accomplish. I pretend that I’m an adult and that I’m all grown, but when it comes down to it, I will always be your baby girl. I love you guys.

All my love,

Beh *

*Note from the author: My parents called me Beh growing up which is a shortened version for Bebe/ Baby. 

21 || VBVA || Psychology || FACT@VCUAngie Ellorin is a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is studying Psychology and eventually hopes to pursue a masters in Education. In her free time, Angie enjoy taking naps, watching Gossip Girl, and online shopping. She is the adopted mother of a beautiful African elephant named Elliot. Her favorite thing about Her Campus is meeting and being inspired by all the other empowering young women. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!