Life > Academics

My Top Five Favorite Places To Study On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Cabell Library is no doubt one of the cornerstones of the VCU experience. From grinding out papers all night with friends to racing to get study rooms, we all have fond memories of the hours we spent in the bustling building.

I love going to Cabell to socialize or finish an assignment in record time on the fourth floor. But on days when I don’t feel like going to the lib, I find it nice to switch up my studying location. 

When I change spots, the switch in routine dramatically increases my productivity and even energy because of the new stimuli. There are so many great spots around campus to kick back and relax while you get your work done, but in my opinion, these five top the rest.

The second floor of the Commons

The second floor of the Student Commons, near the Virginia Rooms, has the coziest chairs. There are also lots of large spaces that are perfect for hanging with friends or working on a group project without a lot of noise and interruptions. It’s perfect because you can run downstairs and grab food in the middle of working without stopping your whole flow.

Pollak Rooftop

The rooftop of the Pollak Art Building located right across from Cabell is one of the best spots to decompress after a long day. Take the elevator to the fifth floor to lounge in a courtyard high above the compass. I love to read and write in this quaint and quiet space that feels like a secret garden on a pretty day. 

Snead Hall

From the moment you walk into the business building, you’ll be ready to hit the books. It feels like a completely different campus only a short walk across Monroe Park. The bright, open atrium greets you as you enter the building and is almost always completely empty. There’s also Bleecker St., the true hidden gem of VCU dining with great sandwiches and coffee. It’s the perfect place to get lunch and some sun during these cooler months.

Cava Rooftop

The rooftop of Cava on the corner of Grace St. is such a prime spot it’s hard to top. Grabbing lunch or a lemonade on the way up and enjoying the view of the city always hits, especially after a long day. The cozy space is also surprisingly never crowded and it makes a great meeting spot being located between campus, apartments and dorms.

Engineering building 

My top recommendation is the engineering building. Located right across Monroe near Snead, this building looks like an Apple Store compared to Cabell. Being the newest academic building on campus, everything is updated and fresh. The building has full-length windows for great lighting to get you out of a study slump, several study rooms and an Au Bon Pain. Enough said.

As we adjust back into our routines, incorporate some of these study spots into your schedule to make the start of the semester a fresh one!

Taya Coates is a senior studying fashion merchandising and minoring in journalism. She hopes to pursue a career as a fashion editor and eventually start her own publication. She is passionate about covering stories on style, social activism, and culture.