This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.
Plant flowers

I’ve never been able to keep plants alive so my goal is to plant pretty flowers and nourish them for the summer.

Sunset picnic

How cottagecore is a picnic? I want to go full out with a bottle of ~something~ and desserts.

Take photos

I want to capture my summer 2023 in photographs, not Snapchat stories. I want to take the time to illustrate all the good things that summer is.

Bake a summer cake

I want to perfect the Chantilly Cake, a vanilla cake with blueberries and strawberries with mascarpone cream icing. It looks like summer.

Fruit picking

One of the perks of living in the south is having farms closeby to go blueberry and strawberry picking. Making desserts with fresh fruit is a different type of delicious.

Sew the perfect summer dress

I’m determined to teach myself how to sew better and by the end of the summer and have created my first garment.

Drive in movie

I’ve never been to a drive-in movie… I want to have my “Grease” drive-in movie date.

Summer curls

Air dried hair is easy, unless it gets frizzy. Every girl needs her hair care routine- mine for air dried curls with a yummy scent. 

Road trip to some place random

I want to travel at least once this summer. Not somewhere everyone goes but to a place that would be unexpectedly charming.

Temporarily dye my hair

New hair always is significant of a new chapter. I won’t say “new hair new-” but a different color could be exciting.

Lately I have been feeling the pressure to have the “perfect” summer before I graduate and have a full time job. The pressure to make money, make time for a social life, internships, travel and everything in between is scary. I created this attainable list to make myself feel like I could do everything I want to do. It may be better or worse but we cannot control where life takes us! Prioritize spending time with the people that make you feel good and spend time in the sun. That sounds like the perfect summer to me.   

Ariana is a fashion merchandising major and theater minor at Virginia Commonwealth University with interests in costume design and film. She is a member of the editorial team and is enthusiastic about sustainability, fashion, beauty, mental health, and current events. She loves supporting women through HC.