This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I’m a firm believer in the idea that the products we put into or on our bodies are a reflection of our health and state of mind. Using natural, cruelty-free products is a big must for me and if it’s plant-based I’m here for it. All of my favorite skincare products that I use in my daily or weekly routine, I purchase at Whole Foods.

When we think of Whole Foods we may think of organic produce, expensive food products, and Amazon’s Jeff Bezos. For me, Whole Foods is my go-to for beauty products because I know they’ll be high quality, naturally derived, with no harsh chemicals or parabens, and are ethically sourced. Harsh chemicals can harm our dermal layers in the long run, and not to mention, they harm the earth at the same time when they’re washed down the drain in our daily routines. I’ve found that Whole Foods is my one stop shop for affordable, natural skincare products that give me a glow and make me feel like I’m doing a kindness to my body and the earth. Here’s a glimpse into my daily skincare routine with Whole Foods products that are good for my face and that I can feel good using.

Whether I exercised in the morning or am in a rush to get out the door I’m always sure to get in my skincare routine. At the moment, I have a routine that uses products I bought from Whole foods that span from serums to toners. I begin by washing my face with Derma E’s purifying gel cleanser with charcoal and marine algae which is super gentle on my sensitive skin but still cleanses my face fully without stripping away my natural oils. It’s by far my favorite facial wash ever used because it’s a gel, non-foaming cleanser that has a gentle, yet efficient quality. This product is completely natural and on top of that it’s also GMO-free! Some of the main ingredients in this product are aloe vera, charcoal powder, green tea extract, and more to give a glowing and refreshed feel to your skin. I follow up my cleanser with Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner with aloe vera since it’s alcohol-free and won’t strip away my face’s natural oils. This product keeps my pores tight and cleanses my face from any remaining impurities. Not to mention, the rose petal and aloe vera add moisture and are straight from the plant source.

I then massage in Derma E’s Vitamin C Concentrated Serum or Mychelle’s Perfect C Serum. I like to switch off depending on how my skin is feeling, but both are multi-tasking Vitamin C serums that are plant-based and brighten your skin while protecting it from the effects of aging such as fine lines or wrinkles that are beginning to form. Another serum I like to use every other day is the Ultra Hydrating serum by Derma E. I love my serums and I especially love hydrating ones because they keep my combination of oily-dry skin in check. The hyaluronic acid in this serum hydrates your skin from the inside, not just the top layer, giving it a healthy and youthful glow. It simply makes your skin feel healthier and hydrated from the inside out and is completely plant-based.

Lastly, I put a facial moisturizer containing sunscreen on after I apply my serums. I typically use Juice Beauty’s SPF 30 Tinted Mineral Moisturizer (in the color Sand) because it’s formulated with certified organic ingredients, protects my skin on a hardcore level, and sort of acts as a BB cream with its tan tint which I love for a lightweight, natural look that covers blemishes. I also tend to switch products around based on the season or how my skin is feeling, or how tan it is. My last step is that I apply Derma E’s hydrating eye cream or it’s dark circle reducing eye cream. I love using a natural under eye cream because I tend to get dark circles under my eyes and it is typically drier than the rest of my face.

The beauty of all these products is that you can read the ingredients and know exactly where they’re coming from, that they’re all plant-based, and free of the typical skincare chemicals that may harm your skin. When it comes to my daily routine it sort of takes trial and error and knowing my skin type, to figure out what’s best for you. Everyone’s routine is going to be different based on their skin and the amount of product they’re comfortable putting on it, but these are some of my favorite skincare items yet! I cannot emphasize the importance of knowing what you’re putting on your face, knowing what it does for your skin, and knowing that the ingredients are natural to keep you healthy and glowing. That’s why I purchase my skincare from Whole Foods or directly from the brands sold at Whole Foods.

Photo: 1, 2

Abby is a senior at VCU majoring in Political Science and minoring in Media and Italian studies. She's passionate about all things related to food, travel, and dogs. In her free time she binge watches cooking/food shows on netflix, enjoys running with her pup to Belle Isle, practicing yoga and barre, and trying new restaurants wherever she goes. She enjoys grocery shopping, appreciates all things locally-sourced, and won't say no to kombucha. You can follow her on Instagram @mangiwithabby!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!