Miss Drusilla, Pole Dancing Artist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I love the idea of pole dancing. It’s sexy, empowering, and one hell of a way to work out. I recently was able to take a class at the local exotic arts dance studio ‘Studio X’ in Richmond and I have to say, it was no walk in the park. Pole dancing has been picking up steam in the mainstream world of athletic artistic expression with tons of performers and unique exotic dance studios across the country. I was given the amazing opportunity to interview via email a blogger and pole dancing teacher, Miss Drusilla! I have seen some of her moves and she is an incredible artist! She moves with grace and precision. I was amazed by the sheer upper body strength required for any person to do this particular dance expression. I wish that I could have an opportunity to be under her mentorship!   

How did you get into pole fitness?

I purchased a Groupon to use with a friend of mine from college. After a few classes, I as completely hooked! Shortly after, I went and purchased my first X-Pole, which I honored with the nickname “Jenyne” after I saw one of her videos on the internet. Right after one of my friends tore her hamstring and needed ~8 months of physical therapy, I started writing Miss Drusilla as a way of keeping her up-to-date with what was going on in class. Since then I’ve been very active in the community, going to shows and competitions, writing, training, and teaching. 

*Alloy Images

Do you have any male students?

Sadly, I don’t. I wish I did! I do train with Josiah “BadAzz” Grant when he’s in town. He’s an incredible innovator and SUCH a great teacher. When he dances, he moves like how I wish I could! 

Do you look up to anyone? In the pole fitness/dancing world?

Not an individual specifically — but I’m everyone else’s biggest fan girl, haha. If I should name names, I would say Alethea Austin for being unapologetically sexy, Sergia Louise Anderson for her kindness and choreographic wizardry, and Oona Kivela for being a beast. I’m thankful to pole community for welcoming me with open arms, helping me make friends, and letting me dance around in my underwear. 

*Alloy Images

What’s the greatest routine or trick you’ve ever seen? Or done?

Sergia Louise Anderson’s 2012 USPDF (US Pole Dance Federation) Optional routine still makes me a little teary eyed. Her attention to detail adds a stunning amount of vulnerability; it’s one of those rare pieces that connect with you and make you feel something. More recently, I think Crystal Belcher’s performance to Nina Simone’s “Strange Fruit” at USNPC (US National Pole Championships) this year was the spearhead of an important shift in the perception of “competition pole routines”. She tackled a difficult topic — the lynching of African Americans, with poise, elegance, and conciseness I hadn’t seen before. 

Sergia’s performance link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP_ZuxTju38

Crystal’s performance link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZhCPKWD7FM

What was something negative you experienced but managed to overcome?

I used to feel really self-conscious about my hands and flexibility because I don’t have a dance background or formal training in anything that requires movement. Since I live in Los Angeles, there’s a wealth of dancers, entertainers, former gymnasts, and aerialists — understandably so, I felt lacking in the classroom. In that time, I’ve learned that you need to stop comparing yourself to others; focus on what makes you happy in your pole journey and take baby steps. 

Do a lot of entertainers take your classes?

I have a very diverse classroom made up of lawyers, engineers, students, hair stylists — you name it! I think because pole has a unique relationship rooted in free styling (dancing without choreography) a lot of women are attracted to that freedom of expression. To add to that, I’ve had exotic dancers, Cirque du Soleil performers, and actresses take my classes too!

Have you ever seen or experienced major injuries?

At the end of last year, I pulled my hamstring and tweaked my wrist in the same week while preparing for Pacific Pole Championships. While training, I knew it was really important not to overexert myself and make my injuries worse. So I took about 10 days off after it happened (in December) and didn’t do any splits until about a month (late February) before the competition. Additionally, I choreographed my routine around my wrist, only using it when necessary. Since then, everything has healed up well! 

What are your ambitions or goals for the future?

I’d love to continue to compete and blog about my experiences. I approach each performance as an opportunity to learn and get a little uncomfortable. The most enjoyable process is the write up afterwards. Sharing and creating are really second nature for me. 

What’s some advice you would give someone who is nervous about trying out pole fitness or dancing?

Just relax, there isn’t much to worry about. Your first pole dance class will be lots of fun—mostly spins, walking around the pole and getting comfortable. There will be lots of laughter and smiles. 

What are your favorite songs to work out/dance to?

Lately, I’ve been listening to the song I’ll be using for California Pole Dance Championships this year — trying to memorize all of it! Songs on a constant rotation tend to be midtempo songs by M.I.A and Santigold. Additionally, I also have been really liking Gin Wigmore’s latest album, Gravel & Wine. 

Please do check out Miss Drusilla’s blog and her YouTube channel!

*photos provided by Miss Drusilla

Monica Hunasikatti is currently a student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is an African American Studies and Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies double major. When she’s not doing her school work, assisting in crushing the patriarchy, or wishing she could speak French, she is reading good literary works, browsing Tumblr, and shopping.
Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.